Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broad-leaved evergreen shrub/tree ID

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 14:49

I have this evergreen plant that I cannot ID. I had posted on Shrubs Forum, but no positive IDs. Lots of suggestions.

I will probably not be sure until it blooms.

This was a seedling I found in local park. I dug and transplanted to a pot, then to my yard. This is growing in zone 7A, Northern Virginia.

Anyway, leaves are very glossy, alternately arranged (so it's not an osmanthus) on stems. Leaf veins are not prominant. Leaves are fairly flat. No great fold along the mid-vein.

Distal 1/2 of leaf margins have subtle serrations on some of the leaves. So I've ruled out Ternstroemia gymnanthera (Japanese cleyera).

New growth is a nice red. Leaf thickness is too thick and succulent for Photinia unless maybe it's a bizarre hybrid (Leaf thickness is more like Ligustrum japonicum). And Photinia seems to have more obvious veins. Also, Photinia prominant stipules, which this doesn't.

There were some different species of Holly growing nearby. Ilex integra and rotunda, so it could possibly be a holly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broad-leaved evergreen shrub/tree ID

Looks like Camellia to me

o

Shadyplace.

Thanks!

My camellias have more like 'teeth' and/or scalloped margins and this has more defined 'spines'.

Here's another closeup of leaves.

Also, my new camellias twigs quickly turn to a brown color within the same season. These twigs begin reddish and stay green until about a year old, then eventually grayish.

o

dave:

Read through your whole other thread, too...

Can you show any other parts of the plant? I would think some images of the buds (at least) would point to "definitely Ilex" - which is what I suggested when an observer here forwarded your first image above. Buds should certainly be different among all the different genera that have been tossed about so far, as are traits like the stem coloration you noted.

Leaf morphology would not be the first/defining character that I'd start with, though there are certainly good separators you and others have mentioned.

And show us those big hollies that you said were growing nearby where you heisted this seedling from! Which DC park was that, and how come they didn't throw you in the pokey...

Just wrapping up the 66th Annual Meeting of Holly Society of America - so your topic is current.

o

ahhh there is SP! He is always always right on!

o

Hey, shadeyplace - how are your buckeyes hangin'?

o

Ugh. Still hangin'. And reseedin'!
Glad you are here to answer all questions correctly!!!

o

Who is SP?

viburnum valley:

I am trying another image of a closeup (as good as my camera can get anyway) of the buds.

o
One more photo of stem

Here's a photo of an early-in-the-season stem. Note the speckled appearance. It may even have been from last season's growth. Not sure. Eventually this turns to solid gray 'bark'.

Maybe this will help.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 12:59

o

fyi SP= Smarty Pants, as I call him because he knows everything (IMO). LOL

o
Speaking of hollies...

Viburnum:

Tell us what's new in the world of hollies! I have
Probably 15 cultivars in my yard....almost all purchased. :-)

I love hollies.

In fact, I have another I need an id on.

o

where is SP?

o

SP/VV has been attending the ASLA annual meeting in Boston - sorry for the diversion.

That really looks like an Ilex integra to me - insofar as I know that species, which is only slightly. Any chance of images of the potential parent plants from the park?

If this purloined seedling is related, then the buds/foliage will likely have affinity. Help us by providing that imagery.

THEN: provide (maybe in another thread - Trees? Shrubs?) a list of those Ilex with which you have wuv.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here