Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonefree29

Need help asap

Stonefree29
10 years ago

I could really use some help identifying these plants. Anything will help, like the family or genus they belong to. Its for a class project and I just can't seem to identify these last few. Please help!

Comments (11)

• saleh14
    10 years ago

Looks like Senecio jacobaea

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

why are you guys doing this persons homework ???

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I don't think it's Senecio jacobaea. The flowers don't appear to be a cluster, they seem to have too many ray florets and ratio of the central disc to the whole flower is wrong. Plus if the fluff behind the flower is the seed head it's not right for Ragwort. But with no foliage visible and no idea of the plant's size and habit it is very hard to pick an accurate yellow daisy name for it.

• Stonefree29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, ive been having a really hard time trying to figure out the yellow dandelion looking flowers. I have two others i need to identify also. But I hope this picture will help. Its the only other picture I have.

I have been doing some research since I posted and my guess so far is Heterotheca subaxillaris

Yes it is for a school project, but I do not see why asking for assistant is so wrong. this is my first class and am having so difficulties. so excuse me if you find this so morally wrong. if your not going to be helpful then please do not comment, Ken.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    10 years ago

The phyllaries do look like Heterotheca. And if that is a local plant, the only native Heterotheca species in Florida is H. subaxillaris.

Here is a link that might be useful: BONAP US Heterotheca distribution

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

And the bloom time would be appropriate for that.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

forgive me..

you are furthering the conversation.. and doing more research on your own ...

as long as you werent just relying on the experts to do all the work ... i approve ...

you wouldnt be learning... otherwise ... and that is sort of the point of assignment ... as compared to how fast you can get someone else to answer it for you ...

ken

ps:.. they do not look like dandilions .... and that is part of the lesson ... those are the Taraxacum family per google .. no one has mentioned that .. again.. that is part of the lesson ... so quit using the improper term ... i could say they look like coreopsis flowers.. more than dandilion ... but they arent even suggesting that either ... so i dont offer that word ... words mean things.. and the flower IDs the family ... etc ...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Stonefree29 - a dandelion has only ray florets and no disc florets. If you need a catch all description for your type of flower it would be 'daisy' rather than 'dandelion'. I imagine the yellow colour made you think of dandelion, but it's the structure that counts. If you Google chicory flowers for example they are dandelion shaped but blue.

BTW, Ken's a poppet - just tends to communicate in an idiosyncratic style.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

"Poppet is also a chiefly British term of endearment, especially for a young woman or girl."

Here is a link that might be useful: Poppet

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

LOL

• Dr.Nature
    10 years ago

I feel confident that it's Heterotheca subaxillaris. I wrote the FalconGuide to Everglades Wildflowers and it matches my photos perfectly. It is, of course, a member of the Asteraceae family. Some members of Heterotheca were moved to the genus Pityopsis but not H. subaxillaris.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH