Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergtheuke

Unknown Shrub

sergtheuke
9 years ago

Hi please help me identify this shrub located in CT. Also the yellow leaves is that just seasonal or a deficiency in care?

Thank You!

Comments (6)

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

It may be a form of Ilex crenata such as 'Sky Pencil', but we need a close up of the leaf arrangement to see if it's alternate or opposite.

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Similar appearance to some of the larger-leafed euonymus shrubs that often have sporadic areas of yellow leaves. Prune them out unless you like the appearance.

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

One of the fastigiate Buxus cv

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Leaves appear to be opposite, so Buxus rather than Ilex. The yellow looks like ill health to me, rather than variegation.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

If the yellow traces back to the same branch, I'd assume it's variegation from a spontaneous mutation. (And as larry_gene said, pruning it out is an option if you don't like the look.)

The pattern of "some variegated / some not variegated" wouldn't look unusual on my variegated Euonymus -- but I have no experience with variegated Buxus.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Looks like the onset of phytophthora to me. The patterning of the yellowing leaves does not resemble a sport or mutation but the leaves simply dying. I'll bet that the symptoms progress over the upcoming weeks/months, as systemic diseases are wont to do. Phytophthora is very common to Buxus.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?