Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trowelandtonic

What's this opposite-leaved shrub?

TrowelAndTonic
9 years ago

I have several low-growing horizontal shrubs are in the yard. The habit is very "flat" like a mahonia, but it is not that. It seems to be evergreen, and there are no berries or flowers I can see now. The leaves are small and boxwood-like, spaced out on the branch. Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• garystpaul
    9 years ago

Looks like a cotoneaster.

Gary

• TrowelAndTonic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Gary. I thought it might be a cotoneaster -- but my leaves are opposite, and all of the cotoneasters I've found have alternate leaves. Have you seen an opposite variety?

• ibilous
    9 years ago

Please compare with Lonicera nitida.

• TrowelAndTonic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

YES! YES! It is indeed Lonicera nitida! Thank you!

• garystpaul
    9 years ago

T&T, I wondered about that also, so looked at a couple of images and thought I saw at least one with opposite leaves. Might be my failing eyesight, ha. Glad you got it identified!

Gary

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Lonicera nitida was my first thought. Flowers are inconspicuous and berries are dark purple.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

That's interesting. I don't think this is a very common plant in US commerce. Mainly sold by PNW mail order retailers, and may be found in local outlets there but I'm pretty sure I've never seen it for sale on the east coast. Where is your zn 6b Trowel?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

They are very common over here - widely planted in parking lots, supermarkets, office grounds, etc. Many varieties including golden leaved, variegated, dark and light green.

• ibilous
    9 years ago

BTW, recently I have found that there is also L. pileata which is often confused with L. nitida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info on L. nitida

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Here's My Lonicera nitida.
    Does yours look like this?
    Mike

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

If very horizontal in growth habit, more likely to be Lonicera pileata than L. nitida. L. nitida is much more of an upright growing shrub, while pileata is often used as a groundcover, frequently on slopes. Great for slope stabilization. Pileata tends to be hardier than nitida as well.

Both are widely available here - I grow several cultivars myself - but are not uncommon on the east coast either. Dave's Garden reports both growing in areas like Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Tennessee.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I have been pruning these to be lower to show the view beyond it, otherwise they would be around 10 to 12 ft. tall, rather than the 4 ft. shown. That's how tall the original plants were that I took cuttings from. They have slowly rooted as they've spread and I haven't limited that. I pruned them with loppers, cutting out the long vertical shoots, rather than shearing them. It needs it again.
    I used to take cuttings from almost any plant I saw that had a chance of rooting. This plant has been here at least 25 years and for a long time I didn't even realize that it was a Lonicera even though it has opposite leaves. I mean, where's the blooms? You have to look very close to see them. Honeysuckle is usually noted for it's blooms...... and then along comes this. Quite a surprise. George Pinyou (sp) clued me in on the ID)
    Gardengal48, what do you think of the yellow forms? Seems pretty bright to me, but I'm sure there's a place for them in the landscape. I'm looking forward to getting one.
    Mike