Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danesnpits

These little guys were in the roots of my Fenestraria

danesnpits
10 years ago

I bought some succulents from a succulent/cactus nursery here in Canada. I got Fenestraria and Lithops. Well low and behold, these were in my Fenestraria roots! So I planted them. They are growing nice. I water them daily but not sure if it's too much or not. Don't want to drown them, and I really need to find out what they are so I can better care for these seedlings. As you can see they have leaves. I did pull one out, on the top left where you can see right at the base of the roots, are 2 more cupped shaped leaves. Anyone have a clue what these are?

Comments (10)

• thedecoguy
    10 years ago

Kalanchoe?

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmm....sort of looks like it doesn't it. Mind you, when I looked on his website for this species, there was no mention of it. Doesn't mean though that he isn't. I guess maybe wait a bit and see how they grow?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

"I water them daily" Way too much. I would not water until soil has dried.

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thinking this might be Kalanchoe...anyone know? It's been a few weeks and they are growing pretty well.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if they were growing in the media of some other plant.. of which you know the name..

then wouldnt it follow that it will live according to the watering rules of said plant ... you arent watering the Fenestraria and Lithops every day.. are you???

you said: succulent/cactus nursery here in Canada

so my first conclusion its a succulent ... and no succulent.. needs water every day.. dont you think ...

and second.. you are on the verge of loving it to death.. because you think a babe needs TLC ... its a succulent.. it doesnt need that much water .. just because of its babe-ness ...

in my years.. i have killed more things with too much love.. than i ever did with benign neglect ... and this is a hard lesson to learn ... just water it.. like any other suc't ...

all that said.. i would also like you to understand... it is apparently an aggressive seeder ... and we have all found FREE plants.. and many end up being the scourge of the universe... in the sense that it already was trying to take over the store nursery.. and you are happy to bring it home.. and encourage it ....

enjoy it.. try not to love it to death.. and DONT EVER LET IT GO TO SEED ... lol.. been there.. done that ... lived to regret it .... see the link for a discussion i started in this regard.. in the annual forum ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

10 years ago

It does look like some kind of Kalanchoe, from which any location in Canada should be pretty safe from invasion, but especially Z2. Maybe they are babies that fell off of a leaf, not necessarily sprouts from seeds. I agree they are alive, but don't look robust. Probably could use more light if that's possible, but not sure it's a good idea for your plant to look out the window - it might get scared to death!

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the responses. I do not water my lithops or fenestraria often. In fact since it is winter, they have gotten a tad of a spray of water once in 2 months. I know the lithops are finicky with water and I left them be. One is opening up and showing signs of new leaves! Yay!!!! I do keep these little seedlings under a 6500k daylight that I got from the nursery here in town. I keep it on during the day and off during the night. Don't water often either. But some of them are not looking well. One though is flourishing.

10 years ago

Dane, that sounds good. Maybe it will be a flower!

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I hope so purpleinopp!!!!! That would be amazing!!!!!! I just ordered 2 more lithops to add to my collection..damn I am addicted to these little kidney looking type brain thingy's..they are so fun to grow!

10 years ago

LOL! I like to water plants, so it's been really hard to NOT water 'living stones' at all. How shocked was I when that flower showed up, about bigger than the plant? Very! Good luck with yours! (You know about the cacti/succulent forum, right?)