Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas Red Oak???

Posted by RPost78 8A (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 17:53

I found this little guy on the edge of a sidewalk just out from it's parent. I rescued it and am wondering if it's a Texas Red Oak? If not, what kind of oak is it? It has really big acorns.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas Red Oak???

Here is it just before re-planting it in a pot.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 19:45

Red oaks are very difficult to define at that age/size.

o

it takes a few years.. for a babe of a tree .. to perfect its mature leaf form ...

i am surprised the nut is not ID'able ....

perhaps one of the tree nuts in the tree forum will recognize it ..

ken

o

admirable thing to do- sometimes I wish I could do what you're doing for this seedling.

o

If you can find the parent plant, we might be able to ID it better. Be sure to grab a few leaves to show the range of leaf shapes if you can.

o

Here is a close up of the parent tree. I'll post another shot of it from farther out. The tree's branches are far up so I'll try to get a picture of a leaf that has fallen. Not to mention, people were looking at me crazy while I was taking pictures of the tree!
@surya55 I couldn't leave this little guy where it was. I knew it was only a matter of time before it got mowed over or trampled, most likely both! It was also 9-11-13 so I was feeling even more sympathetic than usual. Our little tree is named Patriot! :o) I also like to rescue succulents that have broken off at stores and are on the ground. They usually root very easily and I get a free plant. The store people, so far, don't mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here