Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify australian berry tree

Posted by SnailPot none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 17:58

Can someone help me identify this tree. A friend of mine from Australia wants to know what this tree is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify australian berry tree

Maybe some type of Podocarpus. Link below shows one example of fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Podocarpus

o

The fruits do look like podocarpus, but am not sure about the leaves. The leaves seem to have an entirely different structure compared to the podocarpus images on the web. Thanks for the suggestion Carol.

o

It may be another member of Podocarpaceae. There are other genera in that family. I am not familiar with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Podocarpaceae

o

resin in the conifer forum.. IDs conifers by cone ... never saw him here... might try over there

ken

o

Thanks Ken. I will try to contact pineresin.

o

Here's one more picture of the tree. The inset shows the details of the leaves.

o

Agreed. Maybe Dacrydium cupressineum?

o

Dacrydium cupressineum leaves have a different structure.

o

Definitely something in the Podocarpaceae. Maybe Dacrycarpus dacrydioides (Kahikatea, from New Zealand). The foliage pics are a bit too blurred to tell for certain, can you get some sharper ones?

Resin

o

Thanks resin. I have asked my friend to go and shoot some more pictures of the tree leaves.

o

Hi,

Try Exocarpos cupressiformis.

Ted

o

Thank you very much Tedhort. You did it. My friend had mentioned something similar to Cherry Bella, and Exocarpus cupressiformis is also called cherry ballart. The tree was from You Yang's regional park in/near Melbourne, Asutralia. The following link has a picture of where it is known to exist in Australia.

http://asgap.org.au/e-cup.html

Thanks to all of you for the help and a special thanks to Ted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here