Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying this tree

Posted by blackdiamond Washington (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 19:21

Just purchased a home and there are three of these evergreen trees planted on the front of the house. My lawn maintenance guy has suggested that they will get too large to be so close to the house and advised me to move them. However, he doesn't know the name of the tree for me to research. Would appreciate help identifying them. Looks a bit like an atlas cedar, but not sure... Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying this tree

Here's another photo of the trunk and foliage.

o

Whatever it is, you're going to want to move it away from the house! It's a little stick now, but in just a few years, it will tear up your rain gutters when there's wind, and later will damage the house itself.

o

Thanks priswell. I have some friends coming over this weekend to help me transplant several shrubs and trees. The gardens are severely overplanted, but I do have plenty of space to move things around and thin things out. I know I need to move these, but am hoping to identify them to determine mature size so I can put them in the best possible place.

o

It looks like a larch.

o

GW's Conifers forum can probably tell you the exact cultivar and mature size.

o

blue ice something or another .. lol ... glabra .. i am getting there ... blanked out.. googled this spectacular info ..... lol.. and came up with cupressa ..

see link ...

confirm in the conifer forum, as noted ...

who knows.. the taxonomists may have changed the first name.. lol ... hence the memory bubble ...

there is a post on page two or so in the conifer forum ..... by some nut.. about how to transplant a conifer ....

and there is a primer on proper planting techniques ... but i cant do two link.. i will add it to your post in that forum ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Could be a Deodar cedar (Cedrus deodara). There are dwarf (slower growing) varieties of these. We have one that has only grown to 12 feet in 6 years. You'd have to monitor its growth next season to determine if it's one of these.

Of course, it could be something else!

If it's Deodar, yeah, I'd probably move it further from the house.

o

Thanks everyone. I've posted in the conifer forum. Hopefully someone will recognize it. I don't think it is a larch, as they keep their needles year round. In looking at more photos online, I'm now thinking they might be Horstman Atlas cedars. They only get filtered sun in the morning, which may explain why they are so sparse. They also only put on about 2" of new growth this season. I still think I'll move them, as they would probably be a lot happier with more sunlight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here