Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small rose shaped pine cone

Posted by nigell MidAtlantic7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 19:39

Greetings,
Can anyone identify the tree these come from? They are 2" in diameter, about 1/2" tall, flattened like a rose. I collected them from the sidewalk at a yard sale last year and as I remember, the tree may have had short, feathery looking needles.
TIA for any help.
Nigell
Norfolk VA
small rose shaped pine cone 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small rose shaped pine cone

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 20:28

Maybe tamarack.

o

How odd! I grew up in Norfolk, VA and I remember seeing those too!

o

• Posted by nigell MidAtlantic7 (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 9:42

Thanks, bboy, you may be right with tamarack. Will try to find another such tree, and it sounds like they make good bonsai subjects; interesting.
Thanks again for the help.
Nigell

o

Have a look at Cedrus deodara commonly called Deodar cedar. We call the little cones cedar roses here.

Cheers,
Dee.

o

I should have also mentioned that the cedar rose is not the whole cone. It is what remains of the stem end of the cone after it has broken down.

Dee

o

• Posted by nigell MidAtlantic7 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 5, 08 at 5:55

Dee,
I found pics of the Deodar cedar online and that is the best match. Now I want to find that tree again :)
Thanks so much!
Nigell

o

did a job in greenville nc. the lady had a d. cedar tree. about 60'tall and 2.5 diameter. she had some 7 foot saplings. she wanted a little much for me. $1500, so i just took some pine cones. they were free

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 15:42

Does look like the top of a Cedrus cone, looking at it again. Often the end will hold together, at least for awhile even though the scales below have all come off the spindle-like central axis.

o

Nigell, is it possible to buy one of your rose shaped pinecones?

o

I use to live in Santa Rosa Cali. & I had a hugh pine tree that was old & tall. It produce those pine cone roses big & small. I use to call that tree my magic pine cone tree. When my Mom or anyone visited they collected some & took them home. So beautiful. I too do not know what pine tree made them & then I sold the house & moved. I do have some roses that I
can pass on. I will take one along & talk to someone at my local nursery. Keep you posted. Cindy

o

My guess is Pinus contorta or Shore Pine. I have one in my yard. They are native to the Pacific Northwest but will grow in other areas. It is tolerant of salt spray. It makes a great bonsai selection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here