Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chellam_gw

Please Identify - Succulents

Chellam
9 years ago

I posted the same in cactus and succulent forum but did not get any response :(

I have 3 plants. I will post them individually as I do not know to post them all in one message.

Plant -1

Thanks,

Comments (7)

• Chellam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plant - 2

• Chellam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plant - 3

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Hi, Chellam. I'm sorry the folks on the C&S forum didn't respond to you. It's not always possible to identify succulents with certainty. Anyone can cross two succulents which flower at the same time and plant the seeds, resulting in new varieties which may be nameless. Also, I'm sure there are many succulents in your part of the world which aren't known in the U.S. (most of the C&S experts on GW are from the U.S. or Canada).

When your plants flower, the type of flower will narrow down the possibilities.

I am absolutely not an expert, but I'll try to make some suggestions.

Your first succulent is definitely in need of more sun; it is etiolated -- stretching in search of more light. That makes it more difficult to identify. It could be something like Sedum nussbaumerianum. (The leaves might turn brighter colors with more sun.)

I can't see if the second has opposite leaves or alternate leaves. If opposite leaves, it could be Crassula perfoliata var. heterotricha. Crassula capitella 'Campfire' is a brightly-colored succulent with similarly-shaped leaves; I don't know if it might look like yours if grown in low light.

If the second has alternate leaves, I have no idea what it might be.

The third could be a Graptopetalum: maybe G. paraguayense.

Please remember that I am not an expert!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Does the first plant have a flower on it?

• Chellam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

missingtheobvious, Thanks for the information you have provided. Any suggestion in identification will surely help me :)

purpleinopp, The first plant does not have any flower. Each branch end looks like a rosette..I bought this plant 4 months back from a nursery..
    even the newer growth is elongated..The plant is in full sun :(
    does this by any chance belong to Jade family ?..as the leaves are very thick..

Second one looks like Crassula 'Campfire'.. I have put it in full sun to see if it changes color..Do all Crasulla's change to red in Sun?

Third one looks like ghost plant to me too (Graptopetalum)..

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

The first plant has alternate leaves. If I remember correctly, all the Crassulas (the genus of the Jades) have opposite leaves.

Sedums, on the other hand, all have alternate leaves ... well, almost all have alternate leaves. S. oppositifolium has opposite leaves (as far as I know, it's the only one).

Many different succulents besides Jades have very thick leaves, and I think there are both thicker and thinner ones in most of the succulent genuses. [Some really thick ones include Cotyledon orbiculata and Pachyphytum bracteosum.]

Many succulents turn a brighter color in the sun. Some Jades turn reddish (especially on the leaf edges). The Hummel's Sunset Jade has yellow leaves in the spring or summer, I think; I've only seen them in photos, though. At least one of the variegated Jades doesn't turn red, I think.

• Chellam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

missingtheobvious,

After you stated that the first plant could be "Sedum nussbaumerianum" I went and searched(google)
    and did find one plant with green leaves on another forum..I believe even a little shade will make it green..so I guess you are right in identifying the plant :) Thanks again..