Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexia_gw

bought it from ikea Singapore

lexia
10 years ago

Hi! My parents got this from ikea Singapore (like the title duh) and we have no clue what the plant name is. As you can see the leaf edges have already started browning (prob due to lack of sunlight) would really appreciate it if you guys can identify it so I can give it the right tlc. It's an indoor plant as you can see and there are a couple of tiny stems from the base that has a tiny flower at the top, white in colour. (Right side of pic)

Comments (6)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

It's Chlorophytum bichetii

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

As you can see the leaf edges have already started browning (prob due to lack of sunlight)

==>> though that might be right.. its a presumption that might not be ...

you have no clue as to wholesale care.. shipping... etc ....

and on a plant like this.. the damage may be very old.. compared to the short time it was in the store ... e.g. totally dried out in shipping a month or two ago ...

regardless.. there is a very active houseplant forum ... but my gut tells me.. that is a large plant in a small pot.. and that may have been why it dried out ... not from lack of light ....

this happens all the time in my frigid z5 MI winters... when the forced air furnace wreaks havoc on houseplants .... its a drought or humidity issue ... when you didnt own it .... thats my guess ....

good luck

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

In Singapore you could grow it outdoors, probably in a shaded area given the tropical sun. Mine grows in my basement kitchen so they don't need that much light.

• lexia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi guys thanks a lot for your feedback n inputs! Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town (my friend was taking care of the plant) so basically I need to repot the plant? Is it too big for the pot? I noticed more edges turning yellow n would like to keep it healthy :/ p.s. I live in a flat so planting is out of question.

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

A few browning tips are nothing fatal, I've seldom seen any plant that was 100% perfect. Just snip off those brown bits with clean scissors and it'll look fine again.
    In the long term, deal with drainage first. It actually looks fine to me in that sized pot, but I'm guessing the inside pot has drainage holes but the outside decorative one does not.
    Please lift out the inside pot and check if roots are coming through the drainage holes. If there are a lot of them, that's a better indication that it needs potting up into something larger.
    Whatever you chose, or even if it looks fine, please find a larger outside pot if you want something decorative. You either need to raise the inside pot up on stones or similar so it doesn't sit in water, or find a decorative pot that also has drainage holes plus a saucer, and raise that pot above the saucer so it doesn't sit in water.
    Otherwise, an occasional light liquid fertilizer and bright light should suit it well and just rotate it occasionally to keep it growing evenly on all sides.

• lexia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the prompt reply alisonoz! :) yupp there are no roots coming out so the pot is prob fine for now so I'll just follow your advice to raise the outer decorative pot n get a larger one soon. Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it! :)