Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fan palm?

Posted by myro54 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 0:10

Had a client that has given me many of these, they are about 2 feet tall and seem to grow in bunches. He swares they are baby fan palms but im not so sure. I put some in ground last year and they still look the same othe then one or two more have poped up besides the ones I planted. I contacted a local nursary and he said its two young to identify, what kinda sh*t is that...lol So does anyone know, was my client right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fan palm?

Aspidistra

o

In which case it's not too young to identify, if you are familiar with the plant. I can see how it could confuse the guy at the nursery, if you start by thinking it's a palm.

o

"I contacted a local nursery and he said its two young to identify, what kinda sh*t is that...lol"

That translates to "I don't know and don't care to admit it".

o

I've had that happen to me when I took in a leaf and a berry. She said I needed a big branch of it. Heck, I could ID stuff with just a leaf and a berry and I wasn't a nurseryman. Of course I never went there again. It is what is commonly called a cast iron plant. Very easy to care for and it spreads.

o

I believe your client is wrong.

Aspidistra (Cast Iron plants, which this appears to be) are unrelated to palms.

o

If you do a Google Images search on ' palm seedlings ' and you'll see why there is confusion. Add the physical similarities to the fact that Aspidistra spreads by rhizomes rather than seed fall and that fan palms (and other palms) drop seeds by the zillions. Seedlings crop up looking like grass, then reeds, then Aspidistra before they differentiate into something that begins to look more palm like.

That this plant is two feet tall is one indicator that it's Aspidistra. At that size, most palms begin to look a little more like palms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here