Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myro54

Good Bad or just ugly

myro54
10 years ago

Now i know this isnt ugly...lol but I am concerned. I have many of these philodendrons. They are large and pretty much no problems. However this one was out at friends and they get alot more rain, recently at least and the temp gets a little colder not by much though. (this is in florida) Anywho what concerns me is the yellowing of the leaves. the leaves are green in the center then slowly turn yellow as on the edges. I know its not from lack of water. Pretty sure its not from over watering cause it finnaly stopped raining and ground has had time to dry out. Thinking it might be a diesease. Its been like this for almost a year now.

Comments (8)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Here (CA) they can't take full sun. They get sunburnt.

Could be different in your FL climate with its higher humidity.

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Possibly missing vital nutrients such as iron? It's the only thing I can think of.

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

I'm near Brisbane, Australia. these wouldn't take full sun here either (referring to hoovb's comment) - "zanadu" is about the only thing you see in full sun landscaping, others generally have at least some shelter eg round a palm. "A lot of rain" could mean some nutrient deficiency.
    I'm also kind of wondering what that driveway material is - any chance it's leaching something into the soil?

• myro54
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks you guys, i never thought of the sun thing, mine are all in mostly shade but this one and others there have grown up in the same spot in the sun so dont think thats it. but thanks. I do agree with the iron defenciancy. Maybe ill give them a good dose of ironite tomorrow. Thanks you guys

• myro54
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i didnt realize zanadu liked full sun, thanks, i have a few in pots kinda tucked away on back deck thinking they were shade lovers. As far as the so called driveway...lol which is actually just a garden path. Its made of washed shell. I dont think that is the problem cause its been processed and everything plus I use it alot for verious other things. Seems to be great for rooting "some" plants or for holding others up when rooting or planting (like plumera cuttings and various cacti) Dont suggest it for putting in bottom of pots for drainage cause it seems to clog up alot.

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

Shells leach calcium as they decay - I don't think calcium is poisonous in itself but can cause high soil PH and also cause plants to miss out on magnesium, which itself could cause yellowing.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Does that Marl pathway go past the yellow Jacaranda in the background?
    That might be your clue that the lime in the shells it locking up iron or other elements in the soil. A Palm or Citrus fertilizer should help correct the deficiency in that case.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Maybe ill give them a good dose of ironite tomorrow.

==>> one might suggest a soil test thru your county extension office ...

PRIOR TO WILLY NILLY LAUNCHING SOIL AMENDMENTS AROUND ...

you are guessing.. why ... ????

i have no doubt about the suggestions made.. these are good peeps... but it is still all speculation ....

===

whats the plants history ... as you note.. if its been growing in sun for a decade ... then i doubt thats the issue ... it doesnt sound like lack of water ... are these supposed to be limbed up ... has it ever been pruned... does it hold its leaves forever ... this MI man has no clue to the answers .. lol ...

what has changed??? is the driveway.. the white stuff new???? etc ...

i wish you luck... but dont waste money.. putting down the wrong thing.. by guessing .. do a soil test ...

ken

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert