Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roslyn_s

Strange stem plant

Roslyn.S
10 years ago

I saw this strange plant growing in one of my plant pots and I saved it to see what it grows into. What is this plant? It has a strange stem with this bulging lines and very strong root system.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (22)

• calliope
    10 years ago

If you have dug up earth, as opposed to potting soil, I'd suggest it looks very like perennial sweet pea, Lathyrus latifolius. Do you have any in your garden?

• mytime
    10 years ago

Isn't the leaf shape and venation wrong for L. latifolius? this looks like something I've seen before....I need to think a while...

• calliope
    10 years ago

I assumed there were two plants in that pot and this one was a surprise. The more heart shaped/oval leaf looks like pothos. It is quite different in conformation than the leaves I can say I definitely see coming from the unusual stems. The ones I see attached to the stems in question are very similar to lathyrus.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

To me it looks like a single plant and not Lathyrus. The leaves I can see appear to be slightly felted or hairy, so not Pothos.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

No idea, but maybe time for a couple classic questions... Is there any odor if you tear a leaf? What color is the sap?

• calliope
    10 years ago

I chalked that up to fuzzy focus but some elaboration from the OP would help. It makes you wonder if they ever come back on to see an answer. ;-)

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I'm going to say it's pokeweed because 90% of the time, it IS pokeweed. Just kidding! Have no idea what it is, but that's some funky soil it's growing in :) .

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

the STEMS sort of remind me of an impatiens..not the leaves though. and not the bulging, so ????

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

The stems look familiar to me, and I believe it's a weed rather than a garden plant. Most likely I encountered it in IL, NC, CT, or CA, but then again, possibly OH -- or a few other states....

Yeah, I know this is super-helpful.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

I would suggest posting another photo of the entire plant. That might help.

10 years ago

Pepper plant perhaps? Finally occurred to me what it reminded me of.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

What sort of pepper, purple? Capsicum, Piperaceae, something else?

The OP's plant has opposite stems and probably opposite leaves. I don't grow Capsicum, but I believe their stems are alternate.

• jaynine
    10 years ago

I think it's a weed, too. I'm going to guess Solanum.

10 years ago

Jaynine, I had that thought for a moment too. S. dulcamara.

Sorry, I meant Capsicum by pepper plant. Too lazy to find the latin. I think I've had straggly bell pepper or jalapeno plants that looked like that.

Maddeningly familiar.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

I think Solanum has alternate leaves . By the way, we have no clue as to the location. There is nothing on the OPs page to identify where she gardens.

10 years ago

That's much more scientific than the gut instinct method I applied to this one, Carol. Hopefully Roslyn is having a fantastic time on a beach or something & will come back to this when life gets so boring again.

In case this is one of those never visited again by the OP, here's an upright, somewhat cropped version of the pic to continue considering.

The answer 'yes' to the question about odiferous leaves would point to Solanum!

• User
    10 years ago

If it helps, the OP lives in India.

• SusanC
    10 years ago

Maybe it is Achyranthes aspera, rough chaff, prickly chaff, which is found in India.

Here is a link that might be useful: Achyranthes aspera

• thedecoguy
    10 years ago

Keep gettig drawn back to something in the gesneriaceae family?

• Roslyn.S
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey guys I'm really sorry for late reply my internet was not working. Well when I tear leaves I don't see any sap or strange smell. This is the latest pic of the plant. In morning time I see very tiny buds of pink colour but never saw any flower. The leaves are bit hairy and so is the stem.

10 years ago

Roslyn, welcome back, that sounds really frustrating (and not nearly as fun or mysterious away-on-a-beach thing I mentioned!) Thanks for the added clues. I'm sure I don't know what it is, but someone should if 'we' keep trying. I think your last pic got lost in space though. Try again?

• Roslyn.S
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I mean the pic I've put up is the latest pic. This plant is pretty strange and I'm sure it's not Pothos or Solanum. Hope to find it out soon.