Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant

Posted by Sahan 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 3:47

This was found in the garden of a Tropical country and it is a flower plant as I heard. Can anyone let me know what this flower plant is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant

Sahan, have you seen the plant in flower yourself? And in what tropical country.
If not, can you ask the person who took the photograph for more information?
I have a thought, if there is any information that it is an orange/yellow flower and was seen in Malaysia/Singapore or similar regions of SE asia?

o

@ alisonoz thanks for your reply. This is in Sri Lanka (in South Asia) In fact this plant is in the garden of the house I recently purchased & photo was taken by myself. The previous owner has planted it but he did not know the name. As far as I can remember what the owner said, it produces orange/yellow flower as you guessed. Attached herewith a closer look at the leaves. Also as per the previous owner, flowers are perennial (which may or may not be correct)

o

@ alisonoz; I have not seen this plant in flowers. As per the previous owner it has not yet been in flowers. He was also wondering why it has not yet started to bear flowers having grown up so large.

o

My suggestion is that it may be Bauhinia kockiana, which is called a climbing plant but is really more of a scrambly shrub If you use google images you will see photos of the flowers, and closeups of the leaves do seem very similar to me. The link below is just one such photo of both

Here is a link that might be useful: flower

o

I think i know what this is: black pepper tree.
Google them to see if there is any similarity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here