Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone ID this plant?

Posted by Johndebever none (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 7:26

Hi,

I recently acquired this plant from my workplace. Now I was wondering which plant this is and how to best take care of it. It's a really special looking plant and I want to make sure it stays that way.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID this plant?

Beaucarnia, Ponytail

o

Give it morning sun. Long lived plant. I started mine about 30 years ago. Gets about 6 hours am sun. Let it dry between waterings

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 22:21

These days it's being called Nolina.

o

Nice plant but it could definately do with a larger pot. It has many shallow fiberous roots, so it doesn't need a deep pot. Best pots I have found are 6-8inches deep, and as wide as possible, which allows the fabulous swollen trunk to develop. Use potting compost which is free draining, such as those for cacti and succulents It does love plenty of light, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

o

check in at the houseplant forum ...

in my experience.. repotting such a top heavy plant.. can be problematic ... as once you disturb the it... and place it in loose airy media... it has a tendency to fall over ... its not like you can drive a stake or two.. thru the floor to hold it up.. until it settles in ...

you might want to contemplate your heating system.. and the effects of dry indoor winter air on such ... in other words.. think about hot air ducts or however you heat the house in winter ... unfortunately for most of us... the window that provides the light.. has a heat resister right under it ...

it might help in the future to mention you are in NL ....

and dont be surprised.. if you recently moved it from office to home.. that it might be stressed.. and some of the older.. lower leaves/fronds.. might yellow/brown ... its adjusting to the insult of the move itself.. and the new micro climate you have stuck it in ... all plants lose their oldest leaves.. and on this type of plant.. those would be the lowest on the trunk ..... i would call such normal.. increased/complicated by the stress of the move ..

good luck ...

ken

ps: if that pot does actually have drainage.. and you water it so much.. you stain the wooden floor.. you are probably over-watering it to the max ..... personally i would have a mat under it to protect the floor ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here