Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can anyone identify this plant plz?

Posted by nour.lb none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 7:55

hello, early today I got this small plant. It has tiny leaves and flowers but that all I know :s
thanks in advance ^-^

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can anyone identify this plant plz?

looks like Mexican Heather

o

Yes, Cuphea hyssopifolia

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuphea

o

It was a perennial when I lived in 9a Florida. The winters zapped it some. I just gave it a hair cut in the spring and it came back even thicker. It blooms all the time.

o

According to carol23's link, Mexican heather grows in USDA Hardiness Zones 9-11. zackey said it took minor damage in his zone 9a winters (the colder part of zone 9).

I don't know much about Lebanon's weather, or exactly where in Lebanon you live, but I can tell you that zone 9a's average low winter temperatures are 20 to 25 degrees Fahrenheit, which in Centigrade is -6.7 to -3.9 degrees.

So if your area's winter weather gets below that, this plant would need to be grown indoors -- or moved indoors when the temperatures are below -3.9 degrees Centigrade. (You could also move it into a sheltered outdoor area which would not get below -3.9 degrees -- maybe a garage or shed.)

o

Being in a pot it's much more susceptible to cold injury to the roots. I'd bring it in in any subfreezing weather on that account. Does well in zone 8b at least and only dies out in a once a decade arctic blast. Mobot is off on hardiness of most subtropicals in any event.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here