Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinajean_gw

What seed are these??

dinajean(SCzone7b)
10 years ago

I got this cool tin at a thrift shop and it was filled with these seeds. Anyone know what they might be?

Comments (23)

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

Look like ipomoea aquatica seeds but i am not sure.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Those are legume seeds, surely?

Here's the Feds' noxious weeds photo of I. aquatica seed. Really, not the same as the seeds in the OP's photo.
    http://keys.lucidcentral.org/keys/FNW/FNW%20seeds/html/large%20image%20pages/Ipomoea%20aquatica%20li.htm

• mytime
    10 years ago

Yeah, my first thought was that many of them look like old dried out kidney beans.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

They look like one of the field peas, to me. Judging by their somewhat wrinkled appearance, pretty old.

There are hundreds of interesting field peas grown all across the south.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

since the can is not familiar.. how about a scale.. or measurement ..

what about hibiscus .??? .. they sure remind me of some shrub seed ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• mytime
    10 years ago

LOL, that can is not familiar, Ken? You are definitely younger than me. That can was a staple in my grandparent's house....Velvet pipeTobacco, still made today, although the container is now different. That can is probably about 4 inches wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

10 years ago

super... great to know the width of the can ..

what is the width of the SEEDS!!!! .. crikey .. lol ..

i thought is was a weird shaped can of Velveeta cheese ..

must be a SC thing .... and/or alaska ....

ken

ps: did anyone let prince albert out????

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

ken, if the can is about 4" wide, then the seeds are about 1/3".

The Beans, Peas & Other Legumes forum might have a good idea which legume the seeds are. (Or, since that forum is not too busy at the moment, follow the link on that page to the Veggie Gardening forum and ask there.)

Folks at those forums would also have some knowledge as to how likely it is that these seeds of unknown age would sprout (assuming the can didn't spend too much time in a hot shed or garage).

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Try this method - pour boiling water into a cup or mug, Next add some seeds and let them soak over night. Then plant the seeds and await germination. This method works quite well on Fabaceae family.

• dinajean(SCzone7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks y'all for your feedback...and Carol, thanks, was just about to ask about seeing if they will germinate. Can I do that now as we go into winter and just keep them in a pot on my windowsill?

• mytime
    10 years ago

I wouldn't bother planting them until I actually saw germination...after soaking them overnight, you can place some between layers of damp papertoweling, place in a Ziploc bag, and then into the refrigerator. Check every few days for germination. If they start to germinate, plant them as they germinate.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Since you have so many seeds, you can easily take a few and try them. I would not refrigerate after the hot water treatment. The reason to use boiling/scalding water is to enhance germination. You could place a few seeds in a pot inside a gallon ziplock bag.
    If the seeds are viable, you may be able to give them a proper name soon.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Here's an example of growing seeds in a pot.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

another showing Clematis texensis seedlings. I move the pots to the window sill during daylight.

10 years ago

you might want to do only a couple.. just to get those first few leaves for us to ID ...

otherwise... i would time out planting many of them.. 4 to 6 weeks.. before you can take them outside ...

also as to carols suggestion .. i would use hot tap water... i would not go to BOILING WATER ... but whatever works.. works ...

and if those hulks are rock hard... i might run them up and down an old fashioned emery board ... some places suggest you nick them ... all i ended up doing.. with a knife or razor.. was bleeding all over the seeds... but the emery board.. or any fine sandpaper.. is usually enough to break the surface.. enough to let the water in ... its a different method than the hot water.. for getting past the hard covering ...

my system.. would be to take a plain napkin.. insert in sandwich baggie ... moisten.. place seeds in middle of the sheets of napkin ... give it a few days ... the then start checking it once a day .... i would put it in a sunny window.. not for the light.. but for day warmth ... and i would try to figure out how to keep it warm at night..

and when it sprouts.. place in a 6 oz solo cup with drain holes cut.. and fresh media ...

back in the day.. the best spot for that.. was the top of the fridge... but these new fangled fridges.. do not generate the heat like they used to ... regardless... here in MI ... i might not leave them near a window at night.. as windows get cold when its single digits on the other side ....

the key to germination.. is usually moisture .. and heat ....

man.. these seeds look so familiar.. like i have seen the kids walking around the yard with them ... but i just cant place them.. in DEC ... lol ... i swear they look like morning glory ...

ken

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

The hot water treatment replaces the nicking of seeds! I have germinated many fabaceae via this method without filing any seeds. This includes Baptisia, Cercis, Clitorea, Thermopsis and many other genera.

Here's a quote from another website on germination of seeds:
    The method I use is to dip them in boiling water for 3-5 minutes, and let them overnight in warm water. The seeds usually germinate in a week with 100% success.

Ken, how many fabaceae genera have your grown from seed?

At this point we don't even know if these seeds are from a desirable plant! Try some now to see what emerges. If the seeds are too old you may never know.

Here is a link that might be useful: fabaceae

10 years ago

I worked in an old turn of the 19th century 'feed and seed ' for a while. Our primary customers were country truck farmers. As I recall, we sold nearly 20 different varieties of field/cow peas....some backyard growers would purchase a quarter pound (or less) while others loaded up fifty pound bags.

Some of these seeds were very small while others the size of blackeye peas. Gosh, I wish I could remember the crazy names of some of those varieties.

Anyway, there is no question that that's what these seeds are. I'm even going to guess that they are as much as twenty years old or more. They look completely dessicated to me.

Dried cowpeas are hard but never wrinkled up if viable. Look at the ones in the grocery store with the rest of the dried seed foods.

• planatus
    10 years ago

Rhizo is right, those are cowpea seeds. They may be Knuckle peas or, if they grow out as vigorous vines, some kind of Red Ripper. In SC these legumes were once hugely important dietary staples.

10 years ago

Ken, how many fabaceae genera have your grown from seed?

==>> absolutely none ... i just know.. once.. whatever the seed... i cooked them.. with too hot water ....

would i be correct.. to say.. that boiling water is ONLY for the hard shelled seed .... we wouldnt be using it on stuff like marigold.. etc ... say.. winged seeds that float in the air ...

i am always thinking about the 99% of readers who are neophyte on some level ... and just reading our stuff and thinking.. about winging it ... and trying to focus them on the important variable.. and here.. its high heat for hard seed ... NOT ALL SEED ...

rhiz ... check out the link ... i am trying hard to picture you in a turn of the 19th century store ... there is so much rich material in that comment... but i will let it pass... lol .. check out the link for heirloom names...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: rhiz ...

10 years ago

Cowpeas were brought to the south from Africa......darned tootin they were extremely important to those who planted them. OMG, they are so delicious and good for you.

Here in the south one can find them canned, frozen, and even fresh in grocery stores and farmer's markets.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Such a large quantity suggests beans or peas to me as well - Adzuki, or something in the cow/field peas familyâ¦..

Red Ripper:

Adzuki:
    {{gwi:373775}}

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Carol23- I am impressed with the way you germinate and label your seeds:-) I usually grow mine in clean, clear plastic containers with lids to close such as salad containers, croissant, etc. with holes in the bottoms...

• lsst
    10 years ago

I am in upstate SC, too and also found a huge collection of seeds in a thrift store. I wonder if it was the same one.
    I purchased a wonderful collection all labeled and stored . It includes quite a few different varieties of beans. The person used plastic, tin and spice bottles to store the seeds.