Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steinisonline

House plant ID

steinisonline
10 years ago

I was given this plant and I would like to know what it is so that I may provide for it better. Also, if you know what is currently ailing it, I would appreciate some enlightenment. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Perhaps Clivia.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

welcome to GW and this forum ...

==>> it probably doesnt need the pillows.... lol

ken

• poolia
    10 years ago

I dont know its name but it looks overly rootbound to me. Even though many plants dont mind being rootbound there is a limit. Thi plant doesnt seem to have any soil left.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

There's a Clivia forum here, and house plant forum. Either would be a great place to solicit care advice. I'm not familiar with them, so not confirming the ID but if that's what it is, it's a bulb plant and may have just run out of room in the pot, as Poolia suggests.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Clivias will not bloom until potbound. And they are amazingly tolerant of it.

Eventually though, you could divide that plant into two or three.

Or just pot up to larger pot. Frankly the flower show is most spectacular when you have multiple spikes coming up.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Definitely clivia. The more common ones have either orange or yellow flowers. Mine have leaves that brown at the tips too (usually it's the older ones).

• aljoedfro
    10 years ago

each of those needs a pot at least as big as that one. also realize its winter and plant isnt in full growth mode