Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this

Posted by iamwhatiam52 6/7Long IslndNY (iamwhatiam52@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 9:46

Please ID this for me so I can post a question in the appropriate forum about how to care for this languishing plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this

Anthurium.

o

is the dish filled with rum .. lol ...

head over to the houseplant forum ... for info on how to plant it.. and into what media ...

it is not a water plant ... but its up to you to figure out if it can be wintered over outdoors .... it definitely can go outside for summer .... but most likely.. not for this winter ...

its hard to tell with the pic.. but its starting to look chlorotic.. probably due to the water ...

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 11:21

Yes: one of the easier-to-grow hybrid anthuriums that have come on the general market. Here we see them offered anywhere potted flowering tropicals are sold, including supermarket floral departments. All you have to do is give them regular houseplant care, with bright light for more compact growth and to encourage flowering.

o

Hi,

Agreed on Anthurium, nice.

I'm in Brooklyn & have failed several times trying to grow Anthurium indoors. I can't seem to get the watering right. Now I've had one in mix & wicked on a reservoir since I bought it in early Nov. & it's doing well. Hasn't bloomed yet, but looks healthy & doesn't have browning tips.

o

Thank you all for the quick and informative responses!

This anthurium thrived for two and a half years on the rock in the dish of water, flowering nicely and growing slowly. Now, in the last few months it is loosing leaves and part of the base is dying. I will try the houseplant forum for ideas on how to revive it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here