Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large green leafed plant ID help please!!

Posted by Kelly81180 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 10:20

I was given this plant by a friend, and we're not sure what kind of plant it is. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated so as I could better care for it. The leaves are huge and the stocks are wide and supple. If more information is needed, I can do my best to provide it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large green leafed plant ID help please!!

It's a diffenbachia.

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. Great gift!

Does the pot have a drain hole? I would probably move it to a removable pot that fits inside this pretty pot if it does not have a drain hole. Then when it's time to give it a drink, take it out so any excess water can drip away in a sink so it doesn't kill your pretty plant by staying in the bottom of the outer pot and rotting the roots. This would not be specific to Dief, but to any potted plant.

If you have pets or children, you should keep this plant out of reach so it can't accidentally be ingested, or broken open by them to expose them to the sap/juices, which is a known irritant. If you get the sap on your hands, you would want to wash it off to make sure it doesn't get in your mouth, eyes, nose. (My SOP after handling any plant sap/juices, whether known irritants or not. Many house plants can cause various easily avoided irritations.) Just feeling the unbroken leaves, stems, (or roots) of this plant is considered harmless.

The house plant forum is the best place to ask further about Dief.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 15:11

o

i see someone already cut grandpa down ... to make new.. fresh.. vibrant plants ...

are either of those stumps rooting ... the proper way to do it.. is to let them dry and lay then horizontally on the soil..

of which.. as noted.. you can get much more info in the HPlant forum ...

i got rid of mine.. due to the cat ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here