Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tree or bush is it? Red berries on it.

Posted by estero 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 10:23

This tree or bush was planted about 8 years ago by the developer of our development. I am not sure which tree or bush it is. It now has the red berries on it this time of year. Birds like to eat them. I also noticed a bee or wasp nest in it after I took the picture. It is in the right side center of the picture. Some neighbors have the same tree but they never have berries. Why is that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tree or bush is it? Red berries on it.

Holly comes in separate male and female plants, i.e. is dioecious. Looks like a female Ilex verticillata.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 16:53

Looks evergreen and arborescent in photo, leaves don't really look like they have the same coloring, texture and veining of winterberry either. Surely this is something more on the order of Dahoon holly.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 16:55

o

Compare with Ilex X attenuata 'East Palatka'.

o

I'd guess Dahoon or one of the x attenuata hybrids. The x attenuata hybrids usually have at latest a few rogue spines on leaves.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 23:27

Yes, I'd expect the hybrid to be a little different - but there are many hollies, that's why I said "on the order of".

o

If you could show closeups of representative leaves, that might help with the identification. To my knowledge pure I. cassine few to no spines.

dave

o
What tree or bush is it - close up of leaves

Close up of the leaves.

o

Underside of leaves

o

Compare with Ilex cassine. This photo from website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jupiter Ridge

o

It looks like they are the same.

Thanks for all the great comments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here