Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this variegated green, white and ruby houseplant

Posted by abbyrae MN (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 10:45

My grandma split this plant for me last year and I've been trying to ID it since... This is a cutting I took yesterday. The mom is two large stalks that grow horizontal more than vertical, each stalk is 12". When I pinch the top leaves it shoots new branches and it's very fast growing. The leaves are kind of velvety and the stalk (which is white most of the way and then ruby toward the top) is super fragile... as though it is taut with water.

I'd like to take good care of it, and overall the mom seems healthy, but I have no idea what it is...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this variegated green, white and ruby houseplant

It looks like Coleus.

o

That was my first thought. I never saw one with those colors before. Maybe a very old variety?

o

'Peter Wonder'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Peter Wonder'

o

with Solenostemon/ Coleus colors can change quite a bit, depending upon the amount of sun.

I used to have a green-red one with bits of white as a pot plant when I was a kid. And indoors it was rather just green with some faint blotches. Probably that pink would fire up nicely if you placed it in the sun.

bye, Lin

o

my first thought on seeing it.. was that it is not in prime condition.. due to lack of light and perhaps other reasons ... perhaps a visit to the houseplant forum will get you up to speed on growing plants indoors ...

and the fact that she is rooting new pieces.. that perhaps grandpa wasnt real healthy ...

which is all to say.. its colors look faded ... and might be a lot deeper if light was increased ...

and what fascinated me most.. was your use of ruby .... never heard that used in garden parlance before ... for a color descriptor ... and its interesting... gold star on that ..

ken

o

No idea on the name of the specific cultivar (there are over 2,000) but I think it's a duckfoot type Coleus. Maybe one with 'ruffles' in its' name. Regardless it's specific ID, if it's not growing upright, try a spot with a little more sun during the dreary days of winter if possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here