Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patio vine, dark green oval leaves

Posted by Oscarmatic CA z10/24 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 10:57

Hi, I have another mystery vine on the new patio. This is a twining vine growing up a trellis and across the ground. It is planted in the ground against the north-facing side of a fence, so is in shade this time of year. It doesn't have fruit or flowers, and is afflicted with some malaise turning leaves white.

I hope to know whether to rescue, propogate, or remove the vine. Many thanks for your help with the identification.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patio vine, dark green oval leaves

I believe the first two pics belong to a mandevilla vine; the third I don't know. Yes- I would definitely rescue it by giving it some tlc- remove dead or dying parts of the vine, dead leaves, water once it's dried out some and place it in a sunny window. You can save it this way for next season.

o
Mandevilla

Thanks for the ID; it does indeed look like a match for Mandevilla. That third photo above looked originally like part of the main plant, but was a neighbor's vine creeping under the fence and through the Mandevilla. Below is a photo with other plants cleared away. The Mandevilla is in the ground, so it's not going anywhere. Other GW posts lead me to believe it can tolerate a hard pruning, so I've trimmed off quite a bit of the ailing leaves. I'll look forward to spring so I can see what sort of blooms it might have.

o

Wow- you did a great job!

o

Thanks, Surya; that's encouraging. The first person here to see it after pruning said it looked more lush before I chopped it. (Well, hmph.)

I saved three healthy-looking pieces to try to root. I hope in a few months I'll have some to trade.

o

The vine is Stephanotis floribunda.

Rgds

o

The neighbors' creeper looks like something in the Commelina family, if you're still curious. I don't know which Commelinas (by genus) would be in CA, or maybe a Tradescantia or Callisia.

Good luck with the 'real plant!'

o
Stephanotis floribunda

Thanks, Dryadella. Stephanotis floribunda looks very close, too. I read that Stephanotis will get pale chlorotic leaves in insufficient sun; are the white leaves in the top photo what chlorotic looks like?

o

Chlorosis is more uniform on a whole leaf.

Your affected leaves look more like they had a surface pathogen of some type, or minor insect damage on them a while back, or were possible accidentally hit with something caustic, like a cleaning product, weed killer, or even really hot water from turning on a hose sitting in the sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here