Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricjo22

Help identify this plant /Vine?

ricjo22
10 years ago

I received this as a cutting in a trade from texas with no id. Obviously a vigorous grower but seems to resent full sun when moved outside in the summer. The stems of the hanging parts dry up after a few months and the plant falls to the ground to reroot. Never seen a flower. very tolerant of drying.

Comments (6)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Callisia fragrans. If you keep it by that window this winter, you should see some flowers. The stalks usually start to form on mine in January.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

houseplants... by definition TOLERATE less than full sun ...

and do NOT appreciate full blistering sun outdoors ...

first.. you would need to harden it off to full sun ... not unlike myself.. after a winter indoors.. i can not go sun tanning outdoors for weeks ... unless i want to burn like the fires of hell ... i have to acclimate my skin/leaves to such ...

then there is the whole deal with a rather large plant in s small plant in full sun... forget to water one day ... and it might fry ...

plus the pot itself... can possible heat to the point of cooking the roots... etc ...

i would suggest... even for me up here in MI.. half way to the north pole... to .. NEVER put a house plant in full sun ...

finally.. outdoor bright shade ... will probably be the equivalent of full sun.. for a house plant that spends half the year indoors ...

so simply ask yourself.. why do i need to put it in full sun???

ken

10 years ago

Although this isn't one of them, I have many house plants that love to bake in the sun all day. Interestingly, if this plant IS placed in the sun, it will turn purple though it would take some time to acclimate a plant formerly in a dark corner in the house.

The overpunctuated hypothetical babble is really getting old.

Just took this pic.

• ricjo22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the I.D. and all the great advise I have been keeping it on the south side of the house in summer where it gets just a bit of morning sun and in my sunniest window in winter. It is just making shoots that look like they should be flowers but last year they just became new plants

10 years ago

Glad to share info, I know you'll do the same when the opportunity presents itself. The flower stalks will come from the center of mature rosettes, possibly from a 'junior' section but much less common. They're quite different from the stolons of 'baby plants' that come from along the stem. Once a flower stalk starts to elongate WAAAAAAY above the plant, you'll know what it is. The microscopic flowers pack an amazing punch of fragrance for their size.

Just be careful to not water this succulent plant too much during the shorter, cooler days of winter. They need a shockingly small amount of water (unless really dry air in your house is mitigating that. That's often the case as far north as you are.) Just know this plant is right at home in very very dry soil, but cold soggy soil will rot the roots. From the looks of your lovely plant, you seem to be doing fine from whatever info or intuition you were already using.

Here's a pic from last Jan, flower stalks forming.

10 years ago

After what will seem like waiting forever, you'll finally 'catch' the flowers open sometimes. Not every day, or at a reliable time of day. If by some miracle, you manage to not break them prematurely, the stalks can last into mid-summer, opening the flowers when they get in that special mysterious mood.