Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need your help ID-ing this plant

Posted by nicknace MA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 12:52

Hello everyone. I saved this plant after the first frost at work - I work in a hospital and the landscapers plant tropicals like this outside, replacing them every spring after these beautiful plants die. In any case, I took this one inside and it's recovering nicely - growing like mad, in fact. I know nothing about how to care for it, so I'm hoping you can help me by telling me what it is so I can read up on it.

Gratitude.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need your help ID-ing this plant

It's a Canna.

o

Possibly Canna 'Phaison'

o

Do you have a basement or attached garage at your house? It's often easier to store these dormant in a spot like that instead of trying to coddle it in a pot inside through winter. Providing enough sun is usually the problem. There are many discussion for more detail about doing that on the Canna forum if interested.

o

• Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 22:45

Looks like canna 'Phaison', aka canna 'Tropicana'. By either name you have a plant that will reward you with the most beautiful foliage imaginable next year. I second purpleinopp's suggestion to allow it to go dormant in a cool basement, etc.

Grow it wet or even in water & feed it generously during warm weather to bring out the best color in foliage & flower. And kudos to you for rescuing any plant, especially one that remains rather expensive, even here down South. Enjoy your new-found treasure!

o

Yeppers, a canna. You can just dig up the rhisomes, knock the dirt off and store it cool, but it will be OK in a pot too. I had a funny story about these tough plants. They can, of course, be grown from seed and one year I had started a run of them in the g'house. After they'd germinated and were potted, I pitched the soil into the compost and it found its way to my vegetable garden eventually. It must have been ten years later, I see this familiar foliage coming up in the rows of tomato plants, and it's a tropicana canna. It's now in a pot, much like your pot, inside a g'house overwintering. BTW canna seed, sometimes called Indian shot is viable for up to a century. We had a large water cistern built into a hill to store spring water overflow, and when the dozer moved the soil to install it, a year later canna were all over the place coming up wild. A couple down the road whose family owned this farm said their mother had cannas in that area in the 1930s. The dormant seeds must have been buried for fifty years before the disturbance of the soil allowed them to germinate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here