Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant identification

Posted by teawah Idaho (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 13:19

I purchased this plant at my local restaurant for two bucks. It was growing in a big gulp cup so there was no label on it. I fell in love with it's thick leaves, similar to a jade but not if that makes any sense at all. It is very easy to grow and if a branch breaks off I just shove the broken piece into the soil and it roots itself. When a leaf breaks off two grow back in its place starting a new branch. It's a very hardy plant that likes sun.
I just haven't ever seen any like it in any place that sells plants and I haven't yet found it online so I am hoping that someone can help me to identify one of my favorite plants. Thank you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant identification

Looks like a philodendron

o

It's not a philodendron. That much I do know. I have several of them. The leaves on this plant are thick. Not as thick as a jade but along those lnes. The leaves will snap not fold if bent. I have never seen a philodendron throw out roots by just sticking the stem in dirt but that's what this plant does.
Thank you for the try though. It is very appreciated.

o

Looks similar to a Peperomia serpens

o

Looks like a hoya to me (genus asclepiad). Mine is variegated but they also come non. If it is a hoya it needs a lot of light and little water

o

"I have never seen a philodendron throw out roots by just sticking the stem in dirt but that's what this plant does."
Do you mean at a node, or all along the stem?

It looks like hart-leaf Philodendron vine to me, P. scandens/hederaceum, but your description of the leaves snapping instead of bending is curious.

Adding a pic to this discussion of the growth tip of one of the 'vines' could help. And/or a pic of the whole thing.

o

Peperomia, not Hoya which has opposite leaves. This plant appears to lack deciduous cataphylls or scars from their attachment ruling out Philodendron as well.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 9:16

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here