Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help!! Irish Star?

Posted by berber86 Maryland (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 13:29

Has anyone heard of "HARDY IRISH STAR HOLLAND" or "IRISH STAR"??!!! Please help, I need the botanical/latin name.

Where I got it said it grows from spring to winter, and "even snow won't stop this perennial from bursting into big beautiful stars" In the photo they are green, star-shaped, with a bit of yellow in the middle. They grow to be about 12-16" tall. (I can't put up the picture I have cause it is the photo from the internet)
I got this for my grandmother and she is so excited by the picture she wants information on it before it even arrives so I am trying the best I can. All the nurseries told me to find out the latin or botanical name so they can send me information on it. PLEASE help if you can. Thank you Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help!! Irish Star?

Can you link us to the internet site with the optional link?

o

Ehhh...See I am a member of publisher's clearing house and it was a page they sent me of inexpensive stuff to order so it wont let me go back because it was linked to this residency paper work I had to fill out... but I copied the description yesterday

"Even snow won't stop these perennials from bursting into beautiful, star shaped blossoms! Hardy Irish Star Holland bulbs thrive in borders, under shrubs and around trees. The magic begins in early spring and doesn't stop until winter. Grows 12-16" in height." and well I do have a picture on my cellphone I can try to put up

o

OK, so it's a bulb then? If so, look at Ornithogalum nutans.
It sounds like one of those descriptions that is too good to be true, so isn't true!

o

Thank you! And yea I get what you mean. Just figured I have ordered things from them before like car organizers to put in your cup holder etc...and never had an issue but its a little weird when 2 nurseries can't help you? hmmm

o
RE: Please Help!! Irish Star? +

Yes, it is Ornithogalum nutans from the picture you sent, berber86.

How this bulb which originated in Asia ends up as "Irish Star " is beyond me! It's an heirloom bulb which I've admired and ordered a few from Brent and Becky's this year. It's not invasive like Star of Bethlehem but flowers only in spring and not when the snow is on the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornithogalum nutans description

o

That is very useful info. & my grandmother says thank you! Kind of disappointing though that it does only bloom in spring, which kinda irritates me that PCH would say all that stuff. But thank you.

o

I was just on the same search for info on these bulbs from PCH when I followed the link to here. I have been burned by the lisings "wonder Plants" that no one has ever hear of . Some I have recocgnized as to what they really are and got burned once or twice and never purchased flowers etc again. Tried to find the nursery named in the pix. No luck there either

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here