Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry619

I'm looking for a forums for questions in this plant..

gerry619
9 years ago

Is it a bird of paradise? If so what kind. I need advice on care and maintenance

Comments (12)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

House plant forum is probably where I would ask. Yes, that looks like Strelitzia, BOP.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Agreed.

White Bird of Paradise. Strelitzia nicolai.

Soon to outgrow your home. The lower the light levels, the more the leaves and stalks lengthen. Soon they grow to your ceiling. Pretty easy to take care of though. Regular watering when dry.

Repotting to a larger pot will give yours a boost... only to grow larger. A larger pot and more root room will help it to hold more leaves at a time.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 15:38

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Your pot is tiny for a plant that big. I can't imagine trying to grow one of them inside. I lived in Vero Beach, Fl for 27 years and they were outdoor in the ground plants there.

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses and great advise. I will def make the effort to transfer into a larger pot. My original question was going to be in reference to the browning on one of the large leaves as you can see in the photo. I am just wondering if this is a sign that the plants needs some extra attention or is this "normal." I just want to prevent and further browning of leaves before it's too late. Thanks again for the advise!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

The browning of leaves is likely due to the too-small pot and not nearly enough root room to sustain any more healthy growth.

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The browning is def getting worse. I am going to swap out ASAP.

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Might have come out of an outdoor growing area in someplace like Florida, not be very able to cope with your conditions. Some kinds of plants trucked to northern outlets, sold as house plants really need a greenhouse environment or a good approximation of one to hold up.

If you want something tall in that spot maybe try a Norfolk Island pine. These are generally pretty enduring although sometimes they can get bugs.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 13:49

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so I finally swapped it out for a larger pot. I hope it's not too late?

• User
    9 years ago

Your Strelitzia nicolai (White Bird of Paradise) is NOT a difficult plant and is relatively easy to grow indoors...no greenhouse required. Your light condition looks good. It is actually one of my favorites of the larger tropicals. Quite tolerant of low humidity in Winter. Your pot is much bigger, so go very light on the watering, until it shows new growth. Mine is not even in front of the window but does get supplemental light from the reading lamp. Good luck and Happy New Year!

• gerry619
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response! I am hoping this will recover nicely. I did see some new growth so I am hopeful. With the addition of the MUCH larger pot, I hope that it will thrive! I will keep you posted! Thanks again

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

If yours is close to a fireplace, like mine, make sure is not bone dry either. It is a good practice to reduce your watering during cold season but the lack of humidity and heating in your house will cause yellowing due to lack of humidity. It happens to me, I remove foliage and add water, might even mist the plant if I'm feeling industrious

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting