Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaflets of 3

Posted by jekeesl Central AR 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 14:14

These plants were in rosettes 4 to 6 inches across, with stems only about 1 inch off the ground. They were on a roadside, shaded bank, in dry ground that was mostly shale.

Leaves were in whorls of 3. They appeared to be alternating, with 2 on one side, opposing the 3rd, and then switching 180 degrees around the stem. Leaves were only about 0.050 inch wide by 0.180 inch long, with tiny stipules at their base. The whitish stuff on the plant in the 1st photo is frost, since it was just 25F this morning when the photos were taken.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaflets of 3

Sorry this stayed up so long. I was away and without the login info. I'll recheck this in the spring when it has flowers.

o

why are you sorry????

i am amazed you stumped them .. first time in a decade ... and not a single answer.. let alone a guess ..

my world is shattered .... at their failure ..

ken

o

Flowers would help but I'm gonna guess that it's some form of Heathclover or Psoralea or Lespedeza. Maybe smaller than normal because of drought???

o

Thanks TJ. Doesn't look like Psoralea or Lespedeza. Couldn't find Heathclover - got a scientific name?

o

I believe this plant may be the basal rosette for Lechea tenuifolia (Narrowleaf Pinweed).

o

That looks likely. I identified a pinweed once and it sure looks very similar to that.

o

Thanks esh. I'll revisit in early summer to confirm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here