Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orangemouse

Ficus/Rubber-like tree with odd fruit and seed

orangemouse
10 years ago

Hi Garden-Web-ers:

I'm trying to identify this beautiful tree I found in a greenhouse. It was unfortunately unlabeled and the staff didn't know what it was.

It has leaves that look similar to bay leaves and had fruits that looked like grapes--some were green and others a deep plum. It has small--perhaps 1 cm in diameter--white flowers with petals arranged in a sort of four-leaf-clover shape. When I broke open the fruit, I encountered a very sticky--almost like glue--white sap that eventually turned dark brown on my hands. The fruit also seemed to bleed a blood-red juice. The seed, about the size of a dime, has a little impression in it that gives it an appearance that reminds me of a cat's eye.

Here's a photo of the leaf, a dried out fruit (it has become very shriveled--the fresh ones looked like grapes), and a seed from the plant. You can see a little bit of the blood-red juice on the seed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6JU8LvThXIoUmdBQm1mUUtWV2c/edit?usp=sharing

I spent months spritzing the seed in a pot of seeding soil under plastic wrap and a lamp. For the last few weeks I had given up watering it and was ready to toss it and use the pot for something else. I 'm happy to say that I noticed recently that the relatively large seed was lifted about 1 cm above the soil surface by a ~2 mm thick green sprout!

Might anyone know the identity of this plant?

I would love to know how to become a better caregiver for it.