Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling ID?

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago area (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 15:33

I have the seedling in the attached photo growing quickly amongst some dogwoods in my backyard. It has purpleish leaves in late November with some kind of fluted edges?

It doesn't quite look like the pictures I've seen of buckweed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling ID?

I don't know what buckweed is but that looks like a tree seedling or sucker to me. Possibly a crabapple? Are the purple leaves below it part of the same thing? And what are the reddish naked twigs to the right?

o

Pyrus, probably a seedling Callery-type pear. I tear out many all the time. I have a grove of them to do yet. Weeds from a weed tree.

o

Callery pear was my first thought as well.

o

Thanks, Callery Pear makes sense. The previous owner had one planted near the front yard, and as much as I don't like it, it does nothing bad and flowers nicely and has nice color. Just the other day I watching a squirrel 20-25' feet up reaching for the little fruits.

vince

o

and as much as I don't like it, it does nothing bad

==>> what???

using the word DESCRIPTIVELY .. its invasive ... as.. by definition.. it has come from another plant on the property.. if not from a root sucker ...

whats the upside under that DESCRIPTION???? .. only that it was free???

get rid of it ...

ken

o

The smell of the flowers may help change your mind.

o

Hmmm, my only question was to identify the seedling.

The seedling will be removed, no interest in keeping it. The larger tree, which is about 70' away and about 25' tall, very columnar, and about 8" caliper, will stay for the reasons I mentioned. I have never noticed any problems with the smell of the flowers, but they are above me and hard to reach.

Thanks,

vince

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 10:58

Pears are remarkably pungent in flower, close proximity not necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here