Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Plant

Posted by jekeesl Central AR 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 15:55

These plants were only 2-3 inches across. Leaves had 3 leaflets on long petioles. Leaflets were round, with notched tips, and about 0.25 inch across. The plants were in a small waterway that was less than 2 inches deep. They were almost entirely submerged.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Plant

You might compare it to Desmodium triflorum. Native to warm, high rainfall areas. Not sure if it grows IN water, though.
hortster

o

To me it looks a lot like some sort of trefoil such as one of the Medicagos. M lupulina looks similar. I don't know what would be likely in your region.

o

I suspect that it's a terrestrial plant that became established during a dry period. Medicago lupulina is a definite possibility.

o

I'd go along with the Lesser yellow trefoil.

o

I worked through a few possibilities, and no golden tickets yet. Desmodium triflorum has leaflets with the right shape, but the plants are too hairy and the leaflets don't have those lateral veins. And online sources suggest that it needs a warmer, wetter climate than available here. Medicago lupulina leaves have much shorter petioles, and the plants are too hairy. Medicago polymorpha is interesting, since it is a less hairy plant and has those long petioles. But the leaves should be more heavily toothed toward their tips. Trifolium campestre and Trifolium dubium seem wrong - too hairy and leaves on fairly short petioles.

Lycopus makes a good point - the plant may have been established during our summer drought, so may not be an aquatic species.

When I cropped the photos, I did see that leaflets had about 5 pairs of lateral veins. The leaves also had leafy bracts at their base, which were not yet fully developed. Finally, all plant parts appeared to be glabrous.

If you have more ideas, I'll happily check them out. But I'm starting to suspect that these may be developing plants that are not yet in their final form.

Thanks for the input.

o

If I saw it growing here, I would think Medicago lupulina.

I was on a hike this past weekend where the focus was on the changes to the ecology of an area immediately surrounding a reservoir pond (or lake in some parts of the country!) that had been partially drained to repair damage to a retaining wall. The plants that opportunistically moved into the very fertile areas that used to be under water were quite amazing. Plants do find a way!

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here