Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is This?

Posted by 5Bees1Bear 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 16:41

What is this? It popped up the beginning of summer and is now 2-2.5 ft in diameter and getting bigger. It hasn't flowered or gone to seed and doesn't seem to have any pest problems. Doesn't respond well to the hot TX sun but refreshes when the shade hits. Is growing larger in the cooler fall weather ranging between 39 - 79F. I want to dig it out but would like to know what it is first. Thanks for your input : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is This?

It looks like limonium latifolium.

o

Looks like Rumex. AKA Curly Dock. Should have a massive taproot under it. Will bloom the 2nd year.

o

Ditto Rumex.

o

Thanks for your replies. It definitely looks like Curly Dock. I have never seen it before and for it to suddenly appear in my ornamental bed was a big surprise. : )

o

ditto, dock. Not as curly as the curly dock that I've seen, but dock for sure. I'd love to have it show up in my garden.

o

The "curl" to curly dock does vary plant to plant and even in the maturity of the leaves. It is also called "yellow dock." If you are not saving the plant, you can see why it is called that by cutting the large tap root open. Beautifully yellow.

Herb to some, weed to others.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here