Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhonjhon_gw

please help id

jhonjhon
10 years ago

hello, attached are 2 pics of a little plant on my desk. its leaves are falling off, it came from a dish garden a few years ago and has been ok until recently. it's like a snoopy xmas tree that i don't want to throw out. please help me getting it healthy again. thank you, john

Comments (13)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

It made me think Murraya paniculata - looks like it needs more light, and also does the pot have drainage?

• jhonjhon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the pot has drainage, i will move it to more light. it does look alot like that. never had flowers. wife gave it miracle grow about 2 weeks ago but it did not help. it is a little over a foot right now and a few years old. thank you

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Perhaps in Spring refresh the mix?

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with pirate girl- there's quite a lot of salt buildup around the pot.

• jhonjhon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

should i replant it in fresh soil. only thing i have ever done with plants is cut the grass. just feel sorry for it. thanks

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

. wife gave it miracle grow about 2 weeks ago but it did not help

there's quite a lot of salt buildup

should i replant it in fresh soil.

===>> you have high expectations on how fert works with plants ... besides.. i dont fert in the short days of winter.. i fert when teh thing is supposed to be actively growing ... think late march ...

fert is salt ... the media is not draining properly.. hence the build up ...

yes.. fresh media... that is what the pirate said ...

head over to teh houseplant forum ... none of this.. is dependent on the ID ...

and finally ... i would not repot in winter either ... probably mostly.. becasue its messy and i would prefer to make the mess outside.. lol ..

ken

ps: CAVEAT: it might be cheaper.. to go buy a new $3 houseplant... rather than spend $15 on this one ... too many folks.. think that houseplants are forever ... sure they can be.. but they are also disposable ... with hundreds to choose from.. whats so special about this one ...

in fact.. the first thing i would do ... is find out if this one can be propagated easily [google the latin name and add 'propagation' ... and if so.. i would root a new babe ... and then pot it up in fresh media .. not dirt ... in a well scrubbed pot .... and then get rid of this one ... the salts MIGHT indicate root damage ... but then.. i like the learning curve.. and like to experiment ... good luck

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Yes I would repot soon- I'd remove the root ball; try to keep it intact. Toss the rest of the soil; replace with some nice miracle grow soil if you can. Wash the container really well, removing the hard salt build-up on the insides (the hard yellowish residue) and put a rock in the bottom for good drainage, then repot. Place in a sunny window if you can. Don't water excessively; just enough to drain out completely -maybe once a week and watch it take off!

• jhonjhon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you for all of your help, i'm going to start fresh and see what happens, thank you again, john

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Rocks in the bottom don't improve drainage: they take up space in the pot so that the roots have less soil and actually keep soil wetter. (See the "Skip the gravel" section at this link.)
    http://urbanext.illinois.edu/containergardening/choosing.cfm

If a drain hole is large and you're afraid the potting mix will wash away, you can cover the hole with plastic needle point canvas or fiberglass mesh drywall tape. Some people use coffee filters.

• jhonjhon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you, i'll try the filter trick

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I like to use a seashell, cockle shells have ridges at the edges that prevent drain holes from becoming blocked.

The info here should be enlightening.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Shells are alkaline, Murraya prefers an acidic medium.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

TY, Salt. A few old broken, baked-in-the sun seashells in the bottom of hundreds of pots hasn't caused any problems yet but if I left a wrong impression, thanks for mentioning it. A single shell per hole, not a layer of them, placed like a dome, not a bowl. Reusable. The shape of this object is its' appeal to me, not the fact that it's a seashell. One could use a plastic lid to the same dome effect, making some cuts in the rim so water can flow under it to the hole.

Surya, overwatering is not caused by someone with a watering can putting too much water in a pot, but by a soil that doesn't have any air in it and is comprised of tiny particles that lodge closely together and do not dry in a timely manner, and/or a pot that has no drain hole, possibly accompanied by stagnant air and/or not enough light. Not packing/tamping/compacting the soil can help maintain tiny air pockets also. Water running out of the drain hole is good. Proper watering practices should keep any substance from building to toxic levels in a pot (assuming the water being used isn't toxic in itself, which is often the case with tap water.)

This plant looks chlorotic, which should improve with new soil that doesn't have a toxic level of built-up salts, and is within its' accepted PH range, assuming other conditions are within acceptable range, temp, light.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting