Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help id

Posted by jhonjhon none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 17:04

hello, attached are 2 pics of a little plant on my desk. its leaves are falling off, it came from a dish garden a few years ago and has been ok until recently. it's like a snoopy xmas tree that i don't want to throw out. please help me getting it healthy again. thank you, john

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help id

It made me think Murraya paniculata - looks like it needs more light, and also does the pot have drainage?

o

the pot has drainage, i will move it to more light. it does look alot like that. never had flowers. wife gave it miracle grow about 2 weeks ago but it did not help. it is a little over a foot right now and a few years old. thank you

o

Perhaps in Spring refresh the mix?

o

I agree with pirate girl- there's quite a lot of salt buildup around the pot.

o

should i replant it in fresh soil. only thing i have ever done with plants is cut the grass. just feel sorry for it. thanks

o

. wife gave it miracle grow about 2 weeks ago but it did not help

there's quite a lot of salt buildup

should i replant it in fresh soil.

===>> you have high expectations on how fert works with plants ... besides.. i dont fert in the short days of winter.. i fert when teh thing is supposed to be actively growing ... think late march ...

fert is salt ... the media is not draining properly.. hence the build up ...

yes.. fresh media... that is what the pirate said ...

head over to teh houseplant forum ... none of this.. is dependent on the ID ...

and finally ... i would not repot in winter either ... probably mostly.. becasue its messy and i would prefer to make the mess outside.. lol ..

ken

ps: CAVEAT: it might be cheaper.. to go buy a new $3 houseplant... rather than spend $15 on this one ... too many folks.. think that houseplants are forever ... sure they can be.. but they are also disposable ... with hundreds to choose from.. whats so special about this one ...

in fact.. the first thing i would do ... is find out if this one can be propagated easily [google the latin name and add 'propagation' ... and if so.. i would root a new babe ... and then pot it up in fresh media .. not dirt ... in a well scrubbed pot .... and then get rid of this one ... the salts MIGHT indicate root damage ... but then.. i like the learning curve.. and like to experiment ... good luck <<<=== that is called enabling.. lol ...

o

Yes I would repot soon- I'd remove the root ball; try to keep it intact. Toss the rest of the soil; replace with some nice miracle grow soil if you can. Wash the container really well, removing the hard salt build-up on the insides (the hard yellowish residue) and put a rock in the bottom for good drainage, then repot. Place in a sunny window if you can. Don't water excessively; just enough to drain out completely -maybe once a week and watch it take off!

o

thank you for all of your help, i'm going to start fresh and see what happens, thank you again, john

o

Rocks in the bottom don't improve drainage: they take up space in the pot so that the roots have less soil and actually keep soil wetter. (See the "Skip the gravel" section at this link.)
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/containergardening/choosing.cfm

If a drain hole is large and you're afraid the potting mix will wash away, you can cover the hole with plastic needle point canvas or fiberglass mesh drywall tape. Some people use coffee filters.

o

thank you, i'll try the filter trick

o

I like to use a seashell, cockle shells have ridges at the edges that prevent drain holes from becoming blocked.

The info here should be enlightening.

o

Shells are alkaline, Murraya prefers an acidic medium.

o

TY, Salt. A few old broken, baked-in-the sun seashells in the bottom of hundreds of pots hasn't caused any problems yet but if I left a wrong impression, thanks for mentioning it. A single shell per hole, not a layer of them, placed like a dome, not a bowl. Reusable. The shape of this object is its' appeal to me, not the fact that it's a seashell. One could use a plastic lid to the same dome effect, making some cuts in the rim so water can flow under it to the hole.

Surya, overwatering is not caused by someone with a watering can putting too much water in a pot, but by a soil that doesn't have any air in it and is comprised of tiny particles that lodge closely together and do not dry in a timely manner, and/or a pot that has no drain hole, possibly accompanied by stagnant air and/or not enough light. Not packing/tamping/compacting the soil can help maintain tiny air pockets also. Water running out of the drain hole is good. Proper watering practices should keep any substance from building to toxic levels in a pot (assuming the water being used isn't toxic in itself, which is often the case with tap water.)

This plant looks chlorotic, which should improve with new soil that doesn't have a toxic level of built-up salts, and is within its' accepted PH range, assuming other conditions are within acceptable range, temp, light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here