Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
orchid lily??

Posted by Jamesh2omemorygarden MS (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 17:27

This is a plant that grows on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. My son found it and it has come up for several years now but he died suddenly and I do not know anything else about it. It blooms in September-October. It is outdoors on the north side of our home. The tiny blooms look like orchids but the whole plant is only about 2 feet tall. The leaves look like lily leaves. After it blooms it dies back then comes up again the next year. It is growing among wild ferns. Any help would be appreciated. He loved wild flowers and I would like to know what it is called. Entered by Jamesh2omemorygarden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: orchid lily??

Perhaps it is a Toad Lily. Botanical name: Tricyrtis hirta, formosana, or hybrids. It matches your description pretty well: lily-like foliage, shade-loving, blooms early to mid-Fall, about 2 feet tall, tiny orchid-like flowers. Not all varieties have flowers that look exactly like the picture, but it should give you a decent representation of what the flowers look like.

This post was edited by mistascott on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 16:40

o

Nun's Orchid can survive in Southernmost MS, and your plant
may have succumbed to a colder than average Winter. This is why
it's oh so important to list your growing zone (if known) or at least
the nearest large city to aid identifications.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phaius tankervilliae

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 12:29

The weedy orchid Epipactis helleborine is coming up all over and being asked about repeatedly.

o

Nun's Orchid blooms in late Winter/early Spring (not Fall as OP described), including flower stalks it is 3-5 feet tall (not 2 feet tall as the OP described), nor are the flowers small as the OP described.

Epipactis helleborine is a possibility; it blooms Summer into Fall but its range has not yet included the Gulf Coast states. I do not know if this is because it isn't suited to the climate or it just hasn't invaded yet.

This post was edited by mistascott on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 13:49

o

It is so sad that Helleborine is a nuisance for you. It is becoming ever rarer here in its native habitat. I get very excited when I see one.

o

While I generally agree it's unlikely to be Phaius, I don't think
it's accurate to say it must be that large. Many plants reach
only a fraction of the heights/dimensions listed in texts. Also
one man's Orchid/Lily may turn out to be another's Canna!

This post was edited by saltcedar on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 14:17

o
Another Family to consider

Zingiberaceae

Globba

Kaempferia

Roscoea

Here is a link that might be useful: Globba

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here