Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eman0803

Help plant is looking sad

Eman0803
10 years ago

My plant now looks like this

Haven't change much other than now it is the heating season. the soil is very moist. I don't know what type of plant it is so I don't know what to do to help it out.

E

Comments (9)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

" the soil is very moist"
    Not sure what it is, but that is probably the problem. Also looks like it's sitting in a pretty dark spot.

This may be helpful.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i cant focus on the leaves at that distance ...

does the pot have drainage?? ...

too moist.. is as bad as too dry ... try to let it start drying...

and adding a liquid fert is not going to help ...

and if its permanently placed in the middle of that room.. other than for the pic.. its not getting enough light... especially in WI in winter ... though sticking it in a cold window.. sopping wet might not be good either ... cold soggy media.. leads to rots ...

are there cabbage roses on that chair.. i think i own the couch version ...

ken

• Eman0803
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pot it is in does not have a lot of drainage. the person that had it before had plugged the drainage hole. It is in front of a large west facing window. Unfortunately in my condo I only have north or west windows.

I will try letting it dry out a little and keep you posted.

• Eman0803
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pot it is in does not have a lot of drainage. the person that had it before had plugged the drainage hole. It is in front of a large west facing window. Unfortunately in my condo I only have north or west windows.

• Eman0803
    Original Author
    10 years ago

10 years ago

Can the drain hole be unplugged, or the plant moved to another pot? Over time in that condition, a toxic level of a multitude of substances (especially if tap water has been the norm,) will have built-up in the soil.

You can add another pic by replying again, if you would like to continue to try to ID it. Don't think anybody can tell from that pic.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I would repot it - the pot it's in now is too big, which explains why the soil does not dry out. Also, some plants do better with a bit of crowding, that's why they recommend going up only an inch or so in diameter when you repot a plant.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you say not much changed ...

then talk about a prior owner.. a change in locations.. windows that face the wrong way .. etc ...

did the plant get carried outdoors.. w/o protection when it changed houses??? .. in the cold??

for whatever reason.. the roots are either rotting or rotted.. and the plant is struggling to cope ...

repot in a much smaller pot ... check of the root mass ... and let plants near dry in between waterings ... i do it by wieght.. to tell when dryish ... and increase light ... i can not stay in the middle of the room ...

if you are not all up for that.. go spend $5 on a new plant.. and be done with this one ...

when my plants get to this point... there is a 50/50 shot they will recover... and it wither becomes the goal of my existence to heal it.. or i give up .;.. lol ...

and w/o an ID.. i dont know which ... YOU.. should do

ken

10 years ago

"when my plants get to this point"
    They wouldn't if you would listen to advice.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz