Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Beautiful conical shaped tree?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

Does anyone know what this tree is called?
It is down the street from me but there are a lot of them in my neighborhood

Comments (12)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

some kind of conifer, reminds me of cedar

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana)

• aswhad
    9 years ago

Yew?

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    9 years ago

There aren't any Taxus species in Arkansas. Smivies provided the correct ID - Juniperus virginiana, known locally as Eastern Red Cedar.

• pineresin
    9 years ago

It's a juniper Juniperus, NOT a cedar Cedrus ;-)

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

resin points out the beauty ... or lack thereof ... of common names ...

why call a juniper.. a cedar... crikey

ken

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How old do you think it is?

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

The aromatic wood from Juniperus virginiana repels insects, The wood is used to make cedar closets and cedar chests.
    I've never heard them called juniper closets or chests.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    9 years ago

There are at least 10 genera that use the word "Cedar" as part of their common names. If you click on the Juniperus virginiana link from the Wikipedia page below, you'll see that carol's report of its use in cedar chests (and many other applications) is accurate.

And to tlbean's query, that Juniperus virginiana page does suggest that the species is a slow grower. Non-destructive age estimates are not usually considered accurate, because trees have a non-linear growth rate. Also, trees in "pampered" locations with good water and sunlight will grow faster than "wild" trees on poor sites. Nevertheless, you can probably get a general feel for the tree's age by using the formula developed by the International Society of Arboriculture. If you measure the tree's diameter at 54 inches above the ground, then multiply that diameter (in inches) by the species' growth factor, you'll get a very rough age estimate. Although they don't report values for Juniperus verginiana, they do list growth factor ranges for all trees between 3 and 8. Since your tree is considered a slow grower, it might have a growth factor around 5 (which is the suggested value for Douglass Fir). So if your tree is 14 inches across, the approximate age is 70 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Wood

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

listen beeny ....

in my MI ... this is the only plant.. MORE INVASIVE THAN YOUR BELOVED callery pear ... lol ... though the burning bush would give them both a run for it ....

how do you find these things ... lol .. whats next.. you going to be looking into burning bushes ... lol ...

anyway ... its a native down south ... and whats that all about ...

if the ground werent frozen.. i could probably dig up two or 3 dozen 6 inch seedlings .... any day of the year ...

i hate these things ...

as noted.. they are the basis of cedar fence posts... cedar bark chips... cedar bedding etc ...

but the point with the name is... when using a search engine... you are better off using the proper latin name ... elsewise ... you wouldnt never really hone in.. on this juniper ....

nomenclature.. is all about.. using one name.. so everyone.. IN THE WORLD ... is talking about the same plant .. regardless of the language ... even if they cant understand a single word of what each other are saying... they will both know the plant ...

ken

ps: not to mention... i think they are a host plant for juniper rust .. or some such... i just remember some god awful growth on dads .... but i cant.. off hand.. recall.. what the rust goes after .. it just uses the J ...

Here is a link that might be useful: i am sure.. you will see this.. and want one.. just to see this in person ... lol ... psst.. dont tell anyone.. i googled cedar rust first... lol .. then changed the link to juniper rust .....

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

If it's planted I look at the house. In this case sometime in the late 50's or early 60's. It could have been planted later, but in this case, I don't think so.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Young Douglas fir here may grow like weeds, older trees nearby much more slowly. The same thing happens with many other species, and as mentioned the individual history of a given specimen (including the nature of the site it ended up on) is critical to the growth response it produces - small, shrubby Thuja occidentalis clinging to cliffs have been found to be hundreds of years old.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm