Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baobab_gw

Juniperus ?

Baobab
10 years ago

Hello to all.

In the garden in front of the office where I work there are some shrubs and one in particular that I find very interesting. I think it is a juniper but I do not know which one.

The tree is above 3 m.
{{gwi:378075}}

A branch with berries
{{gwi:378077}}

In the shadow of the canopy sprouting some shoots with juvenile needle-like leaves
{{gwi:378078}}

Magnified image of the tip of a branch with berries and adult scale-leaves.
{{gwi:378079}}

Can anyone help me to recognize the species?

I would try to root cuttings of this juniper. I tried to document myself but the views on the best time to take cuttings are very divided. For this I would like to know the opinion of someone who has direct experience.

Thanks in advance

Baobab

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

It reminds me of Juniperus chinensis 'Shimpaku' but that may not be a perfect fit. Probably some kind of Chinese juniper at any rate, as these are highly prevalent in cultivation.

If not that then a similar species. Chinese junipers are prickly (at least the juvenile, needle-like parts) and distinctively stinky - at least among familiar plants.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there are some other conifer ID experts in the conifer forum .. whom i have never seen in this forum ...

they might be able to get a little further than bboy .... or not ...

ken

• Baobab
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you bboy for your advice, I appreciate your prompt replay.

Baobab

• gregorson
    10 years ago

Last pic looks like Cryptomeria Japonica

• Baobab
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right gregorson, when it is young and on new branches the leaves are needle-like but when the plant is mature they become scaly.

The Cryptomeria instead have only needle-like leaves and is monoecious, while the juniper is dioecious.

In the picture you can see a 28 year old Cryptomeria that only shows a green needle-like leaves, not blued as Juniper, the tips are slightly curved and on the same branch they are both the old male cones and female cones that are already well developed.

{{gwi:378080}}

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

On the juniper the needles are on new sprouts and the scales older, when these last are on ropy pieces with strobili on the ends. Chinese juniper mixes them up, as can be seen in the one picture here where the tuft of needles is coming out of an old bare twig section. There are three kinds of growth on Chinese junipers, the tufts of needles here and there, the intermediate leaves on much of the newer, projecting shoots around the outside of the canopy, and the ropy, flowering bits tending to more down inside, on older branch-lets.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Juniperus chinensis `Torulosa` ? -- Twisted Hollywood juniper? They're fairly common in zone 7. Just a guess though.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Not twisty enough and too blue. Might be 'Robusta Green', however, instead of 'Shimpaku'.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm