Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bouquet Greenery (bought in Britain)

Posted by suemc 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 20:12

Can anyone identify this curious plant in the middle of the picture please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bouquet Greenery (bought in Britain)

Araucaria heterophylla?

o

Looked on google and the leaves on A. heterophylla are scale-like. The ones on the plant I have are fine and needle-like, about 1.5cm long. I didn't notice any pine/resin smell when I stripped the lower leaves or when I cut the stem. For scale, the cluster in the centre of the stem is about 7cm in diameter.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 14:22

As I remember it this is an Australian flowering shrub, maybe even a protea - can't remember the name. The swollen stem tips I think open into flower heads later. Whatever it actually is, if you look at the selections being offered on cut floral products web sites it may be shown and named.

o

Suemc, I may have misidentified it, but don't judge by the lack of a "pine smell." "Norfolk Island Pines" are not in any sense pines; that's a common name based on perceived similarity.

o

My reference to lack of pine smell was more to do with my description of the leaves being needle-like, but thanks for your comments. I took bboy's advice but haven't managed to track the plant down on florist websites so I'm still none the wiser.

o

Suemc, do let us know if you track it down. I'm curious now myself.

o

bboy, could you be thinking of one of the Grevillea?

o

Not Araucaria or Grevillea. I have sold tons of this to florists shops. Now I have not been working for 3 yrs so it´s name slipped my mind. It´s Australian and I Believe it can be found in South Africa as well.

o

Gergorson, perhaps you can contact your source of material and ask for their list. A plant name on a list might jump out at you.

o

Leucadendron sp.

o

Maybe Berzelia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berzelia

o

another link

Here is a link that might be useful: Berzelia

o

carol123, I think you have nailed it! It looks very much like B.albiflora to me. See link. Many thanks everyone.

PS It would be a great pity if the species was on an endangered list as suggested from the link, although the blurb on the website doesn't make it clear. I doubt it would be shipped out to florists if is was though.

Here is a link that might be useful: B. albiflora

o

On second reading, the info suggests a stable taxon. That'll teach me to scan read!

o

Yes it is a Berzillia, the tags on the bouquets, we sold, said: Albiflora and Silver Brunia.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 13:53

White balls are what I thought it was going to produce, but the name doesn't ring any bells so I just didn't know it that well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here