Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Morning Glory

Posted by redthreaddiy 6a MI (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 21:53

This showed up one year and is here year after year. I'm wondering if this guy has a name! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Morning Glory

Morning glory 'candy pink'?

o

do you mean it reseeds ...

or the same plant comes back???

ken

o

It reseeds. It's come back every year since 2009, and it's the same pink color every year.

o
Pink Morning Glory

No one gardens in my neighborhood. they are all retired. I'm happily the only one with any kind of color in my yard.

o

Maybe it's 'Pretty n Pink'

o

Grandpa Ott

o

Grandpa Ott looks more purple than pink to me

o

the rules of genetics rule here ...

if you started with a named cultivar ... the seed that comes up the next year .. may or may not be genetically the same ... even if.. to your winter forgetful eye.. they look the same ... [unless of course.. if MG comes true from seed forever ... and if that is so.. i defer.. and ignore the rest]

so you may never know the right name.. became after this many generations.. it isnt the first name.. and otherwise it has no name ...

i have had the blue ones coming back for over a decade ... occasionally.. even those 'throw' a pink one ... but it wont be one of the named pink ones ...

ken

o

Try doing a search of�Ipomoea purpurea.
Or better, Pink Ipomoea purpurea.
flippin' MorningGlory confusion!
Not many people realize that Morning Glory, is a species in the genus Ipomoea of the family�Convolvulaceae with 1,650 different species.
I got in a fight with a girl one time over Datura and Convulvulus.

It's true plants like crepe myrtle or apple tree seeds often if not always produce a plant far different from its parent plant.
Yet ... Plants like torrenia, periwinkle or even orchids that are altered to produce different color blooms will eventually revert to their original state of color if allowed to continually grow. (perennial,annual)
It is the cultivator that distinguishes its color ...
Some flowers will change from the original coloring if there is a lack of nutrients in the soil ...(I had a green periwinkle flower this year, not enough nitrogen)...Which, perhaps if you fertilized your soil you may get a darker purple morning glory.

Yes grandpa otts is ipomea purpurea morning glory but, its cultivator varies.
Grandpa Otts is the cultivar. 1.BlueOtts.
In short it is a morning glory ... Pink, Light blue, or purple Ipomoea purpurea( light purple seems like your photo ) Tickle me pink, pink fairy, pink sunrise .... You decide... Just as long as you know it's ipomea.

(;

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia.Ipomoea_Purpurea(morning glory)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here