Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Request Identification: is this a camelia or something else...

Posted by Joemir none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 22:49

I found this plant ~7 feet behind my walnut tree(black walnut rootstock with english walnut graft) growing and couldnt figure out what it is. the leaves are in alternating pairs of leaves two at each node with new sets at the base of thge leaf.the edges of the leaves are lined in tiny green spines. it look to me similar to a camelia or a rhodedendron but i dont know for sure i was wondering, at this phase of development if anyone could help me I would really apreciate it! :D thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Request Identification: is this a camelia or something else..

I forgot to mention i live in sonoma county california zone 9b according to usda, also heres a further away shot of it.

o

Well, it isn't a camellia or a rhododendron. But I can't tell you what it is, I'm afraid. It has vague resemblances to fuchsia or Viburnum tinus but doesn't really fit either, especially considering your remark about the spines. I imagine it is also a little atypical through lack of light and looks ganglier that it should.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 13:57

Looks generally like laurustinus, maybe the "spines" are hairs. That's one of the shrubs you'd expect to pop up occasionally around there, as it is so prevalent in west coast plantings and I have seen seedlings up here also.

o

Well, if bboy has a similar hunch I'll firm up my suggestion - an etiolated Viburnum tinus aka Laurustinus. Flowers in the winter - in bloom round here right now.

o

floral uk, you are too much! Are you a botanist, landscape designer? or such?

o

None of the above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here