Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisa73_gw

Plant No. 3

elisa73
11 years ago

And this is the only tree I've found in my new backyard. I have no clue as what it is.

It looks like it has like four different little trunks coming out of a big trunk. Or maybe those are the branches already?

Also, one branch is in the neighbor's side. Can I just cut it off?

Thanks,
Elisa

Comments (17)

• saltcedar
    11 years ago

Might be Philadelphus, if it is pruning now will
    remove next Spring's blossoms. No other harm though.

• elisa73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, now I hope it is. The flowers are pretty.
    So if I prune it now, there won't be any flowers at all next spring? I guess I won't prune it then.

Thank you so much once more.
    Elisa

• saltcedar
    11 years ago

You'll only lose the blossoms on the removed branches.
    Any you leave will bloom normally.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi, welcome to Gardenweb!

"Also, one branch is in the neighbor's side. Can I just cut it off?" Absolutely, as you also could on anything growing from their yard into yours. Unless it's bothering them (which it probably isn't or they would cut it,) it might look more natural to leave it. Hard to say from that angle...

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 10:35

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Weigela.

• elisa73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again, that makes more sense, then. Only the branch pruned won't blossom. I was afraid of losing all flowers.

And the whole thing with the neighbors... I wouldn't touch their plants unless they become too much to handle.

For example, there is one plant from the neighbor in the back that has all these little red berries (fruits?) on it, and (maybe I should take a picture) I'm thinking they're all going to start falling over on my yard. I don't think they are cranberries... if this happens, I might cut this plant.

That makes me think... can I grow any kind of berries in NY weather?

Thanks,
    Elisa

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

Non-native viburnums have red berries, non-native honeysuckle shrubs have red berries, native hollies have red berries ... a picture would help.

11 years ago

"can I grow any kind of berries in NY weather?"

I would think strawberries and blueberries, and some of the vine berries, grapes...

This is the kind of question that would be best asked on a discussion forum like NY, edible landscape, shrubs, or even vines. Depends on the berries you want to grow. Conversations on this one die out after the plant is ID'd unless there is some kind of controversy, and the folks best able to answer your questions may not visit this forum.

Good luck!

• elisa73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purpleinopp, I did, I asked a question on the east coast forum, but that forum is dead! Not much going on... :( This name that plant forum rocks in comparison! hehe

Saltcedar was all over my questions and I appreciated it so much.

I think I might need to go to a different gardening forum for more general questions...

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

You might try the Edible Landscape forum:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/edible/

If you're looking for berries to grow for wildlife, you might try the Wildlife Garden forum:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/wildlife/

11 years ago

Yeah, all forums are more slow this time of year. When folks get spring fever, you'll see a spike in activity. In spring and summer, this one goes really fast.

Certainly no harm in continuing this discussion right here, and glad you're enjoying it!

To get the most specific info, you may want to be a little more specific about where you are. Putting that in your profile is good, and mentioning it at the beginning when starting a new discussion. Something like "I'm near the coast in whatever county." NY state has a variety of climate conditions and zones. Salt water is a specialty condition and I mention it because you mentioned visiting the east coast forum. If you're close enough to salt exposure, that will be an overall blanket under which you garden.

You can find your zone here. Including it in your profile info (usually with your 2-letter state abbreviation but there is a little room to be more specific if you want) will cause it to show up next to your name when you post on GW. The "8b AL" next to my name means I'm in zone 8b in Alabama.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

For advice on what berries to grow I'd try the Fruit and Orchards Forum. It's alive and kicking all year round.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Possible berries depending upon soil and growing conditions - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, juneberries, mulberries, elderberries, cranberry, gooseberries, and currants would be the most common ones I know of to grow at least in my corner of NY State (Western NY). There are certainly others less commonly seen that will grow as well - things such as aronia, jostaberry, honeyberry, kiwi, goji, schizandra , and more. But since there is quite a range of zones and conditions in NYS, exact species vary for your area.

FataMorgana

• elisa73
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stay tuned for the winner of this identification. I will post a picture tomorrow and I believe one of the two guesses it's the right answer.
    The funny thing is I'm not 100% sure as I need to compare the flowers that have blossomed with the images on Google.
    By the way, I'm very happy with this tree, it's so pretty!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

words mean things... it is NOT a tree ..

its a flowering shrub ...

and there is a shrub forum... should you wish to learn more ...

but do let us know.. who won the name game ....

ken

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Before you post the solution I'll add a vote for Weigela based on the original photo. Don't know how I missed sticking my oar in before. Bboy was correct imo.

• elisa73
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I think it's the Weigela, isn't it? Soo pretty and so impressed by your amazing knowledge!

Which brings me to my knowledge and Ken. Yes Ken, you're right, too. It's not a tree, but what do I know? I had a rosemary bush in my backyard for six months before someone else told me it was something I use all the time when cooking!

I guess it's called a flowering bush, but there is a big chunk of trunk at the base of it which now makes me wonder if it belonged to another plant or if it's just the way it looks.

Anyway, awesome job bboy (and flora).

On to the next green adventure! :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!