Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious rooted cutting from flower arrangement

Posted by cheekypanda13 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 23:50

Hi, my grandmother got a flower arrangement from her church when she broke her ankle. They stayed there for a while with no water change or anything and all of them turned black except this one so I was like, "Oh, that's neat!" and I took it home with me. It's been kind of abused already and the roots were blackish when I planted it so I doused them in rooting hormone, potted it and hoped for the best. The leaves still look fine so time will tell. What in the world is this? It looks like some kind of woody shrub but I don't know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious rooted cutting from flower arrangement

Aucuba japonica?

o

It looks very similar. It looks like the Variegata cultivar. The only thing throwing me off is the toothed edge. It looks like some of them have it and some of them don't. What a confusing plant. Thanks for your quick answer.

o

Aucuba japonica Variegata cultivar. Toothed edges are normal.

o

Yep, I just noticed. First I looked it up and Wikipedia and they looked smooth there, but then I saw pictures on Dave's Garden and they were all toothed. Thanks guys!

o

I don't know what your climate is like but it could well be hardy in your zone.

o

It's true that Aucuba may be cold hardy for cheeky, flora, but it makes a very good indoor plant. It should be used for that purpose more than it is.

Cheeky, what is your general location? I live in a zone 7 climate; Aucuba (plain green and the variegated cultivars) do very well here in the landscape if you are interested in a pretty shrub for dappled or light shade. If not, enjoy it in a bright location in your home.

o

I live in zone 7, but in an apartment. I can't decide if I like it enough to keep it as a houseplant but I'll see if it grows on me (horrible pun intended). If not I'll see if my mom wants it and if not I guess I could try to trade if for something else if anybody else wanted it or I guess I could give it away. Man, I feel bad talking about it behind it's back like this. It's like it's right over there staring at me like, "Don't do it man." But I'll see if it makes it and starts putting on roots before I speculate too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here