Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbreeze_gw

Have your food preferences changed?

mrbreeze
18 years ago

Ok I was just sitting here FEASTING on pistachios like it was 1999...and I realized that I used to despise them. I think I had no good reason and maybe I'd never even tried them before, but I just "didn't like pistachios".

I had the same exact thing with guacamole. Maybe cuz its green? I dunno...but I "didn't like it". Well, now I LOVE it!!! If its well made, its really hard to beat.

Some things I've always loved, like black jelly beans, ice cream, Mt. Dew, pizza...and some things I've always hated like raw tomoatoes, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and most members of the squash family....oh and fruit cake, ick.

It absolutely kills me to think about all the times my parents took us to a seafood resataurant, and I got a burger or chicken...*sobs*...shellfish mmmmmmmm.

College pretty much cured me of drinking colored liquor, and 3.2% Bud light pretty much cured me of drinking american beer. Have a Leffe or Chimay from Belgiam, and you'll never go back.

Twix is the ONLY candy bar, and Cookies & Cream, the only flavor of ice cream.

Iced tea should never be sweetened and hot tea, rarely...and only with honey.

The spicier the better. ((((hot mustard)))) ((((horseradish)))))

I eschew white condiments.

Bacon...yumyumyum

Black-eyed peas

for New Years

hungry yet?

oh yea...

frosting!

MB

Comments (12)

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Ya know....black eyed peas are the things I try and try to like, and just don't. They taste too earthy.

As a kid I hated tomatoes and broccoli...Now they are standards, but at least the broccoli is no longer olive drab in color.

Never drank beer until I was in my late 20s and met my now husband....I think I had to kill off some taste buds and smell recepticals for that one...

Lately, I haven't been able to drink coffee. I don't know if it is because dh is brewing it so strong it is bitter, but I even used to like the French vanilla "pods" and I can't handle those too. I guess I'll really find out when I crank out the espresso this weekend.

Always loved seafood and fish...except for oysters...at least I don't like fried ones, never tried them on the half shell...

• komi
    18 years ago

I thought you were going to ask if there was a diff between Dec 31, 2005 and Jan 1, 2006.

I don't think any "hates" have moved over to the "likes" column, although I can tolerate some things better now.

There are more things I like though - I didn't start eating ethnic foods (which in my case means not American, English, Chinese, Japanese, Italian or French) until college. My first falafel was eye-opening, as was the first Indian, Thai, Korean, Jamaican, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Greek, Indonesian, Spanish, Lebanese....

And I'm definitely better at garnishes in general - cilantro, perilla, and a million other green pungent stuffs used around the world.

Oh, oysters.... When I was about 9, we took a New Year's trip across the channel to Paris, and we had raw oysters for 6 meals in 3 days, and that was enough for a lifetime... or so I thought. I can now eat them again - when I'm in the mood. (Cooked oysters were and still are disgusting.)

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Hmm where to start ...

Guacamole is something I used not to like for some phantom reason, but now I can't get enough. Cause: moving to Texas?

I'm still not a big fan of raw tomatoes, or any form of tomato that is still chunky. Make it smooth or in very small pieces, and I'll enjoy it. (DH orders fries as an excuse to eat loads of ketchup.)

Pizza--duh! Not to like pizza is unAmerican! Used to be just cheese, but pepperoni is good now, and my current favorite toppings are bacon and pineapple. And while we're on it ... I used to drink Mt. Dew like water. Now I'm down to a Coke once in a while ...

Shellfish: growing up in Maine, I am a master of eating a lobster (nostalgic story ensues). We would call up one of our cousins who still is a lobsterman on his cell, find out what time he is coming into dock, and meet him there to get the freshest lobsters possible at the lowest price possible. Next we'd take them down to the boathouse (a little shack by the shore), build a fire on the rocks, fill a big ol kettle with sea water, and bring it to a boil. Put your critters in there, and throw seaweed on top--then if you have steamers (or clams for you flatlanders), pile them on top of the seaweed to steam. Melt a little pot of butter on the side of the fire. Break the lobsters open with rocks, and when the shell is empty, throw it back in the ocean. Folks, add a dozen family members, and you've found the meaning to life. Red Lobster can kiss my @$$ this is the only way to do it, and anyone who doesn't like lobster, has never had Maine (the only--sorry) lobster done up this way.

As for the steamers, I always seemed to get the ones with a bit of sand stuck in them, so I have been conditioned not to like those much.

Sweet tea from the Southeast is the only tea for me. Texas claims to have sweet tea, but any place that doesn't assume you're having sweet tea with your meal isn't doing it right ;)

One bad experience with Captain Morgan, and I shudder at all dark booze. Corona was the 'gateway' beer for me--now I can drink about any brand. Mixed drink of choice: Tanqueray and Tonic :P~ or a Blue Hawiian if I'm feeling fruity.

I got hooked on coffee at an early age via coffee ice cream. But my tastes have changed: I turn my nose up to anything other than Starbucks now. Damn their consistent good quality! (On a side note, I saw a comedy show that was talking about how Americans left England to avoid the tea tax, and now we get $4 coffee instead. Haha good game.)

I used to think that sushi was 'gross' until I tried it. Then we discovered this place called Pirhana Killer Sushi. It really is ... I hope Heaven is as nice a place: outstanding food, and laid back techno vibe music. Great way to get in the mood ... too bad I'm usually ready to pass out by the end of the 30-minute drive home.

Well that's all I can think of now. I guess I need to be prompted on these things. Wow, I think this is my longest post yet!

• arthurm
    18 years ago

NNNNNot FFFFFFFoood Again. Lisa, those black eyed peas are overated. Sound sexy but the proof is not in the eating.
    Oysters are disgusting.
    Sushi must be an acquired taste.
    What is dark booze?
    Is techno vibe music...thump, thump music?.
    Love the olive drab veggies. That is why we would never eat at my in laws place. Olive drab peas, grey cauliflower. Yuk
    Breakii today.
    Main course: Fruit Salad and low fat ice cream
    Seconds: Two slices of toast with roasted capsicium pesto plus some marinated fetta cheese. (marinated in olive oil) Yum.
    Two cups of brewed coffee with skim milk and no sugar.
    Off to get some exercise.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

I liked sushi first time I tried it.

Techno vibe: kinda ambient, slow, some bass but nothing over powering. Nice soft music lurking in the background, but not elevator music. Natural, like waves or a mother's heartbeat. But still upbeat and trendy. Does that help or just confuse things?

Arthur, your lunch sounds yummy. I love pesto and feta, and fruit and ice cream :)

• carleen_a
    18 years ago

ah, food - my favourite pastime, thank god I inherited my father's genes as well as his orchids. I grew up shared between my city family & an aunt & uncle towards Newcastle in NSW between the ocean & a large lake (Macquarie, Arthur). My uncle was a mad fisherman & consequently I love anything seafood or shellfish. One of my earliest memories is gathering oysters from the mangrove roots at low tide. Open it, pull the oyster out, wash it in the sea & eat it right there & then - unbelievable!!! You can't do it now of course, but natural is still the only way to eat oysters - cooking them is a waste.

Love tomatoes but I'm not supposed to eat them, something to do with the acid & arthritis. Love all vegies except brussels sprouts - I've tried, I really have but I just can't develop a taste for them! I persevered with olives and anchovies and capers & they're all fine now, in fact I'll fight for them on the pizza. Sushi, yum ditto Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Islander. I shy away from the stodgy English type dishes - grey vegetables & floury gravies - but you can always win me over with a plate of mashed potatoes & gravy & don't forget the lamb chops. Booze? Heck yes! A good scotch (ok any scotch), beer (dark & malty), red wine (Aussie) - no, my tastes haven't really changed since I was a teenager although the wine was sweeter then. How come we suddenly become eloquent about food in particular?

That's it, I have to eat . . . the mango & thick, home-made yoghurt I had for breakfast just isn't cutting it,
    cheers

• everlidis
    18 years ago

food-hum! being spanish white rice was a must however only do brown rice now.. except for sushi rolls anything else i ate back in the day i still eat... have always hated peanuts and vanilla icecream.. (must be because deep down i knew one day i was going to become a orchidholic, maybe) and still hate them both. not crazy about italian something about the red sauce does not do me good... love mashed potatoes and gooooooood quality and tasty food.

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

Well prepared food of all kinds -- I even like liver and bacon now! As a kid, I would have barfed. NOw about the seafood. Coming from the west coast, nothing beats Dungeness crab. Toss them in a pot of boiling seawater for 8 - 10 minutes, cool and eat. I'd stack them up against an East Coast Lobster anyday. A little melted butter and a salad...
    Prawns. We have a special "presentation" for the BEST prawns. Cook in boiling seawater until you know they're dead. Scoop out of the pot and pile on newspaper and eat! When finished, gather up the newspaper including the shells and you'd never know that such gourmet activity had occurred. Awesome.

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Still not a seafood lover. I dislike the texture and taste of most. I will try it, but I prefer lake fish. Even then, we fried up the huge walleye I caught last year and I could only eat part of it before I felt sick. I like oysters with some hot sauce, scallops are pretty yummy. If we're going out for sushi I have to be warned- I have to 'psych' myself up for it.

Raw tomatoes are a no- cooked yes. Cooked spinach no, raw yes.

I have always referred to tuna as cat food. The smell makes me gag- I can't be in the same room if the junk out of the can is eaten. I can prepare the filet style- but still dislike the taste.

I have always hated mushrooms and that never died. I had some sort of problem with white dairy items. Cream cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese never passed these lips. Cottage cheese is the only one still banned.

Caviar and raw beef sandwiches have been eaten once. Never again.

We were just discussing the temp preference of red meat. It would seem most of my friends liked it well when they were young and grew to like it more rare. My friend who runs the food at one of our local VFW Posts said (after a frustrating evening of 'end piece' requests) you will go back to well when your old.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

I now like most food except bland, blah, overcooked vegetables, crawfish and sea urchin roe. I'm sure when I was a kid I was more picky. I'm weird about basil pesto and cilantro; I can go from liking them to hating them and back several times a year. I have no idea why. I don't swallow oysters--I chew them. Yum! On the flip side, I can't stand some of the candy I loved as a kid. It's ironic that now I can buy and eat as much of it as I want without asking anyone I don't want to! As a kid I never got to know if I liked pineapple because my mother hated it and it never entered the house. Now I love it!

OK, now I'm hungry. I'm going to go see what I can find for lunch!

• lunaticvulpine
    18 years ago

.. techno? its good as written.. played by a totaly sober person but turns to those gifts that my dog leaves on the lawn when written by an over eager crack fiend.
    i think the best techno is made in europe and asia with some thing good coming from various places every now and then

food i love all sorts

i was however suspicious of middle eastern food untill i served out there and realized that shwarma and falafel are awesome
    raw tomatos with a bit of salt and lemon juice are awesome
    ... i love raw veggies...and some good bleu cheese dressing

i stay away from most seafood as if it were the plague. but i love me some shrimp,crab and the occasional lobster.. btw
    i also learned some of the best sandwiches come from a resturaunt in georgia..... the atlanta bread factory... those are awesome espcialy the chicken pesto sandwich thingy.

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

Hey Mr. B...

Have a Belgian lambic..my favorite drink other than a Midori sour.

I pretty much like just about everything. I'm not a picky eater but I do have my preferences (I like lots of cereal and fresh fruit.)