Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

anyone else having cabin fever? winter plant madness?

komi
18 years ago

I mean, it's not like it's cold here or anything.... I don't know what's up. I've placed 2 or 3 plant orders too many, I've made not one but two trips to the botanic garden, visited an orchid greenhouse 2 or 3 times.... and have more plant events scheduled for Feb and Mar. This is way beyond normal, not that "normal" is really normal to begin with.....

Comments (35)

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

I know. I'm feeling it to here even though it's been way to bright, dry and warm.

I bought a Cym. Little Black Sambo 'Black Magic' and a Cochleanthes amazonica just a couple of days ago...I wasn't looking to buy anything but the fever took hold..

*sigh* Do you at least have room for all that, Ki?

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Are you kidding me? I'm freaking out man. This weekend I plan on making a trip to Oak Hill and next weekend is a show in Madison. I plan on going to OH as a spiritual adventure and the show in Madison to buy plants.

I bought at least 10 mini roses and am looking at a few of the full sized variety.

Thinking about daylilies and vegggie gardens......

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

omg, I barely escaped the 10 phrag special at Oak Hill. I did manage two slipper purchases in the past 2 weeks, though. and I have gesneriad seedlings *everywhere*

Do I have space? roflol. True madness - I am into big plants right now so no... I don't have space. I just picked up a few more bromeliads... and some of the slippers are multifloral paphs and phrags. Love them but.... I wonder if I can mount a pleuro to those leaves?

The flip side is that I've killed off a good bunch as well.... Between those and the two mini terrs which will be moved out from under the lights once established, I have some space to work with. The budded phals have been pushed away from the lights so that's a few 6-8" pots worth of space... And I'm also moving a few more things to the office if I can find the time to move them into a prettier pot.

It's musical chairs.

Last night I was looking at the SeedSavers catalog for hot chiles that are under 24". I would like a few at home... and maybe peas in the office window, yes, that sounds like a fabulous idea.

I am feeling totally out of control. Don't think I've had it this bad in years.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

No orchid purchases but I've been peering at them more. Up until a few days ago we practically had green grass outside so it isn't too bad. (This weather is absurd)There are a few Amarylis around the house putting up buds and leaves. I visit the garden center attached to my workplace but I keep fighting the urge to buy plants since I always regret giving up the little space I have. I did make a trip to the botanical gardens a while back and am thinking of going again. And, of course there is the show clairwags mentioned but I'll be just doing setup and probably not attending the show proper. That way I can still see everything and "pre-shop" without the crowds :)

• lunaticvulpine
    18 years ago

im a contaminant.... way to many orders placed after today i no more orchids i swear... even if i have to loose the debit card and on top of that it seems as though ive been going through a sort of carnivorous plant binge as well. ive picked up several and have several more coming in within the next day or two.... this is it im done for this year.

Gaston

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

Gaston

Never say never. That was my New Years' resolution.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

I was just thinking about this yesterday. The madness isnÂt too bad this year. I think itÂs helped that weÂve been having March-like weather the entire month. Truly absurd. There actually was money for food left over after I paid the heating bill. Yip!

I did check on all the Elephant Ear plants in storage to see what theyÂre doing  only lost one. Rats! My fav of course. Also decided to start a couple of them up already. I think IÂm taking the Bletilla out of the fridge this weekend and seed starting will begin the first week of Feb. ThatÂs always fun. I havenÂt had the urge for new orchids yet although I do want to start trading stuff away. Too early?? It seems IÂve always had problems with orchids shipped during the coldest months. Usually no obvious damage, but they seem to take longer to settle in.

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

I heard on the news yesterday, that January 24th is the most depressing day of the year. Luckily for us, we had sunshine -- one of the few days that we have had amid weeks of grey gloom. Today it's back to raining. I am going to spend time in my orchid room today, but if that doesn't do it for me, I'm ordering some more little darlings. I have one tiny Amesiella Philippine that has 2 buds on it -- the two buds have been there for 2 weeks without opening, looking like they are ready to burst! This is the first time this miniature orchid is blooming for me, and it's my first miniature so I'm getting anxious.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

Hearing mentions of carnivores and roses is doing me no good! My little orchid hobby is under control (no more than 11 in one month--this month--thus far) but I do need to buy some property to accomodate space for an orchid room or greenhouse. When I hear "roses" I am reminded of all the sketches I have made and time I have spent thinking about a formal rose garden. And carnivous plants ... when I get that orchid room, there'll be a terrarium in there with frogs and salamanders too!

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Between finally getting rid of the "spousal unit",tearing the house apart to truly get him out of here, new men in my life (busy me), and the day to day chaotic, disorganized BS that has become my life, I've had no time for orchids. Killed off most of my catts, dens, laelia and the like by putting them outside when we had an unexpected frost (I'm hoping some of the dens and laelias come back, not likely though). This occurred when I was tearing up the kitchen and needed to get them out of the way.

In the spring, I'll probably start rebuilding, at least, my laelia collection. They had become my hands down favorites anyway, almost to the point of not wanting any other catt-type orchids.

I've been keeping track of the temps in the garage with the idea I could put a greenhouse type area in there for pleuros etc. By god, it's perfect. Temps between 45 and 75, although it will go a tad higher in the summer (two sides of the garage are underground, one side is attached to the house and only the west side is fully exposed). There is an offset in the garage that I guess is designed for a washer and dryer and/or freezer, which can easily be turned into a "plant room" as it only has one side open and hence, in need of a "door". Since I work at home and don't go out every day, the problem of opening and closing the garage doors for a car to come in and out is minimized. It would only be a serious issue when it was ungodly cold outside, in which case I only go out during the day or stay home (I'm a wimp). This will be an upcoming project, I just have to let the ex come back and collect the rest of his "stuff" that is filling up the garage. I can't wait for this, I really, really like pleuros etc.

Cabin fever? What's that?

Laura

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"new men in my life"

Did everyone catch that?

I have a carnivorous order scheduled for spring.

I almost forgot. In addition to escaping Oak Hill's phrag madness, I did decide not to go down to Miami in early March. That would have been the Miami intl orchid festival, the Begonia Society annual meeting, and some other tropical plant fair..... All in one weekend. I bet if I lived in Florida, I would have no interest in plants....

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

"new men in my life"

Well, it's like this, I'm not looking for a potential father for kids, I'm not looking to build the economic resources that come with a long term marriage, I've given up on finding the love of my life, I'm just out to have fun.

I find dating over 40 tons of fun. I have the self-confidence not to be concerned about rejection, I'm not concerned about "appearances", I'm not concerned about a "reputation", I don't care what my mother thinks, my body isn't picture perfect but neither are theirs, I like sex and due to that, I'm not worried if I'm good in bed.

There is no longer any of the stress and pressure of dating when you are 20. This is actually fun. Amazingly, most of my over 40 female friends hate dating. I think they just have the wrong attitude.

• cat80
    18 years ago

I don't think it's cabin fever for me, I just got back from Asia where the weather was perfectly nice at this time of the year... it's the fact that I couldn't order orchids for almost 2 months that I'm "rebounding"... LOL... felt a little guilty when I recently placed orders with 2 growers, a total of 15... and already have 2 long lists for 2 vendors to bring plants to the NY show! I'll just have to figure out how to carry them home!!! LOL... but I don't feel guilty anymore since you guys are doing just the same!!!

Hi Laura - I agree, I think it's perfectly ok, and healthy, to have some fun when you can... life is too stressful as it is... hope your kitchen is back to normal, and good luck with the thought of turning the garage into a greenhouse... lol... so sad, really, truly sad to hear that you killed most of your plants, because I know you had a great collection...
    cat80

• michigoose
    18 years ago

well, uh...ummmm...I've been planting seeds like a crazy woman and buying daylilies...I'm WAY out of bounds. I've been trying to stay away from the orchid catalogs...

OH? Claire, you're coming to the Dayton show or what??????

• clairewags
    18 years ago

HA! I meant OH as in Oak Hill!

I'm about to put an order in for 12 Daylilies. :)

• cbarry
    18 years ago

cat80-

Who are you ordering from for the NY show, and what are you getting? I'll be there, maybe we can hook up. My favs are the SA vendors. I have bought my best plants from them. period. But I kind of like the "I'll take home what calls out to me" attitude that I to go with.

Tho DH had to have a Scorcers Apprentice last year. He saw it at the NY Botanical garden OS. And I *promised* him that we would find one at the NY OS. We did, but it wasn't easy! What will he want this year?

Carolyn

• cbarry
    18 years ago

Well, I just woke up my bletilla striata (that I got from Kevin in a trade last fall), my pleiones (hope they bloom this year!), and 1 habenaria radiata. Only 1 habenaria (I have 8 left) because I want to make sure that they're ready to wake up before I toss 'em all in a pot.

And (gasp) I purchased a stan embreei from EBay (winter purchases scare me!) that should be here Monday.

55 F in NY on January 28 is not normal. Our Montauk daisies are already leafing out. Not that I'm complaining-

Carolyn

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Carolyn

We're doing the same stuff today. I planted my Bletillas and some more amaryllis and a few martagon lily babies I was holding in the fridge. The Bletillas had 1 inch sprouts already.

Not to be a freak about detail or anything, but your Bletilla is a striata albostriata. I wouldn't trade you just the ordinary kind you know.

Where did you get your Habenaria? I've been looking at a few places and can't decide.

k

• cbarry
    18 years ago

Kev-

Only the best from you! I didn't mean to slight the trade, just didn't have all the facts at hand- But this is why I want your Paph delenatii and Angraecum sesquipedale if you still decide to trade them. (I *do* have 8 habenaria radiata left...couldn't trade them all, but could spare some...)

I got the habenaria from Bourgondien bulbs. Actually DH did, not even realizing that they are orchids!

Carolyn

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Carolyn

I was just being a brat. Have to do that once in a while. I was looking at VB for those, but they have such a bad reputation - well, not totally bad, but 50% bad according to the Garden Watchdog.

I take it you haven't checked out the exchange page lately? I have a pic of the sesquipedale posted. Yes, contact me if you are interested. I think we may be thinking along the same lines.

Kev

• cbarry
    18 years ago

Kev- you have mail!

• lunaticvulpine
    18 years ago

i have more then i need of what ive grow out of and so im going to start the "dumping ritual" which was started by our predecessors yipp!

• cat80
    18 years ago

Hi Carolyn,

Both Kawamoto and Carmela will be at the show, I know about Carmela, but nothing about Kawamoto. I asked for feedback a while back, got a few positive ones, mainly from folks who purchased from them at shows. Took a chance, and before I ask them to bring more plants for me, I placed an order with Kawamoto. I received the shipment last Thursday, and let me tell you, their plants are just truly wonderful, very healthy plants. They will bring plants to NY if you confirm your order 2 weeks in advance (thanks to Claire's suggestion). I also got "my fix" from Oak Hill last week, I truly love the plants they sent me this time.
    I'm looking to expand my catts (particularly LAELIA) and species collection, don't have very many species. So my 2 lists for these growers are mainly catts w/ a couple of species. But you're right, I would also love to pick up "what calls out to me" at the show as well! It will be great to hook up Carolyn, just let me know where to meet.
    cat80

• cat80
    18 years ago

Carolyn,

Hit submit to fast, forgot to say that this "trading" business sounds so interesting, I'd love to join except I don't have much to trade!!! LOL... I really would love to find lots of interesting species, other than catts and laelias, at the show, and perhaps 1 day I can join in the "trading business"... lol...
    cat80

• cbarry
    18 years ago

cat80-

You'll be able to trade soon enough! you'll buy stuff that you either don't want, or it becomes less valuable to you than what you want in the trade. We all had to start somewhere!

There will lots of talk before the NY show, and people tried to hook up last year. I had good intentions, but got into "town" too late. Laelias- good for you, they don't bloom for me. I seek out the SA vendors, I have never failed with their plants.

carolyn

• cjwatson
    18 years ago

See what you all started!!! I am going to place an order with Oak Hill today for a winter fix. I was trying to make it to the spring since I need to cull out my flock in the greenhouse to make room for this coming year's purchases, and I prefer to ship during warmer weather. Shucks and darn, I'll just have to cram them in somewhere....

• komi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

golly gosh CJ - your succumbing bodes badly for us relatively newbies. I guess we can look forward to living with this for the rest of our growing lives ;-)

Next fix: paph forum on Feb 18. This one could be outrageously expensive.....

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Well, I have since ordered 2 Hybrid Tea roses and emailed the Daylily Lady.

My Orchid scratch will be itched this weekend! Hooray! The DH wants to come with. Which is wierd- I must have talked this show up too much. :) I'm betting he will incourage me to buy some stuff he likes as well.

• cjwatson
    18 years ago

Always remember when your significant other gets involved in your hobby that, whether you have a huge greenhouse or just a single windowsill, there is NOT room to share!
    ;-)

• clairewags
    18 years ago

Like all other things in life, those things that require me to do the work and him only to enjoy the labors of, are his favorite.

• turkeytaker
    18 years ago

I was fine without an orchid fix, but my dad is in Hawaii for two weeks (work) and has a pretty enormous pile of plants building. I gave him a list, some of which he's gotten, but I also told him to pick up anything that he thinks is nice. Can we say floof? *cries* Stacy

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Ya know...I was in trader joe's this last weekend and there was this HUGE maudiae. I mean multiple fans. Filled the whole 8" pot...and there was one blossom....a viniform. Now, if my husband hadn't been with me, that plant might have just leaped into my bag....instead...I bought 25 daylilies on ebay. MOAN.

• cat80
    18 years ago

Carolyn,

Why don't laelias bloom for you? but catts bloom for you, right? I will def. check out those SA vendors per your suggestion, thanks...

I've been so bad, all your talks about "other plants" make me feel a little guilty! I don't "look" at anything except for orchids now... I've been trying to stop myself for hitting that "submit" button at growers' sites. I kept telling myself this is my first winter with the 'chids, let's see if I could get thru without a problem... but if CJ can have a "winter fix", then we all deserve to have at least a fix or two, right??? Oh, Michigoose, I would go back to Trader Joe's, look at it this way, you know how lucky you are to be able to buy orchids at local stores? I certainly don't get that luxury... lol...

• cbarry
    18 years ago

cat80-

Nope, no catts, laelias, SLCs, etc. No one in that family. I have a potinara and a b. nodosa, that are closer and closer to the the door because although they have lovely green roots and nice growth, they offer no hint of a flower, and they should be BS. I even tried mini-catt hybrids because I was told (or read) that they require less light to bloom. Still no luck. But they're gone now as a result of last fall's massive "if it's not gonna bloom, it's outta here!" cleaning frenzy. But Fall and Spring cleaning allows me to trade :)

I grow under 4 x 4 ft x 40 W fluorescent tubes, and I can only imagine that I don't have enough light.

that's OK, I have plenty of orchids that do want to bloom for me :)

Carolyn

• cat80
    18 years ago

... No catts??? hummmm... so sorry to hear, and those catt alliance of yours,just trade them all, Carolyn, "teach" them a lesson! lol... isn't it annoying, all your TLC, and no bloom! Last night, I just finished reading "Fragant Orchids" by Frowine, in the back of the book, there are listings of orchids by categories... I was amazed to see the number of orchids that can be grown under low light, so you're right, you're in luck...
    cat80