Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bred

What's with phal shilleriana?

t_bred
16 years ago

So I bought 2 seedlings in 3/07. One an Equestris and one a Schilleriana. The Equestris is triple the size with it's first spike right now. The Schilleriana has grown one new leaf ,half the size of the seedling leaves and one new root(woo-hoo)They have been grown side by side in exactly the same conditions. They are 4 inches below 40w bulbs,14 hrs per day. I have read so many conflicting notes about these. Some say more light than most phals, some say less. Some say wetter,some drier. I would really like to be able to grow this one,but I am about half an hour from growing it in the SNOW!!! What gives? Thanks!!

Comments (15)

• scott361
    16 years ago

More incoherent mumblin'...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

We could talk about movies?

Kevin

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

We finally watched Ratatouille (the movie, not the dish) last night. I really liked it.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I know the name, but can't remember what it's about. Ain't that a chick flick?

Let's see. I've been watching tons of stuff lately. Saw Namesake last night - absolutely endearing. Saw Shortbus a couple of nights ago and really, really liked it. If you know nothing about this one, don't go by my recommendation. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

• t_bred
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My post so I'll make the popcorn.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Can we have pizza too and maybe some little, chocolate candy bars?

• t_bred
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Will Dots and Snocaps work?

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Ever put grated parmesan cheese on the popcorn?

Little and chocolate - DH gave me a 24-oz. bag of Premium French Dark Chocolate Assortment from Costco - "Good Source of Flavanol Antioxidants" - really made in France, according to the wrappers on the little squares. See, it's good for you.

Some are 60% cocoa, some 53%, and some 70%. Kevin, it'd be better if they were bigger. Taking the 2 wrappers off each piece keeps you from inhaling them, the way you can a giant Snickers bar.

T-bred - what are Snocaps? Another source of chocolate? Dots are yummy.

Charlie Wilson's War is supposed to be terrific.

Whitecat8

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Ratatouille is a food movie, obviously. It's animated, stars a rat and had more depth than I expected. Plus, technically speaking it was a visual wonder.

We went to Shortbus when we were in New York last time. I really liked it except for most of the sex therapist's story line. My co-conspirator bought the DVD.

I think I'll wander over to the (formerly) light side and see if anyone has any input on which species Phals might do well in S/H. My Anoectochilus is blooming again (two inflorescences!) and I'm feeling the jewel orchids are something I ought to explore more.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

"Will Dots and Snocaps work?" - Nope. I want little Hershey bars. Nothing else will do. I take that back. Little Snickers will do, so will little Kit Kats and little Dove bars and little Butterfingers. What else do they make in little chocolate bars? As you can see, I like the cheap stuff.

That Parmesan sounds good on PC. Maybe I'll try it tonight. I would imagine you still add lots of real butter. I most certainly will.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Sigh, there is always food. I see that the three ring circus to elect the next American President has started. We just look on with a wry grin and then grimace because we know we will be stuck forever with the British Monarchy.

Do not post anything political here. I am only mentioning this because i have been watching The Wire and was highly amused at the tortuous process involved so that a guy could be nominated as the next mayor of Baltimore.

Also, without sub titles and help from my daughter who has a history major in "The Black Experience in America" i would be at a loss to work out what the plot is all about.

• me_171
    16 years ago

Charlie Wilson's War was a great movie btw.

I vote for the pres. candidate that will allow us to deduct orchid purchases from our taxes. It is an obsessive problem that must be fed and gov'mt cheese should help supply me.

• komi
    16 years ago

We should be able to get a credit for every dead orchid too :(

• michigoose
    16 years ago

Phal. schilly is an evil plant. Evil I tell you! but not as evil as violacea....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

You must see the movie Eastern Promises. About the Russian mafia in London. Really creepy.