Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turkeytaker_gw

Anyone miss these flowers?

turkeytaker
16 years ago

I must show off...

Here's my first tomato flower of the 'season'. Two more opened today and the plant is covered with buds. I qualify this as madness.

{{gwi:133685}}

Comments (9)

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Oh, my gosh! It's cruel, I tell you - just found out it's too cold here for Andy to ship my order - shoulda known - and you've got tomato blossoms!!!!!! Waaaaa

Good for you. Promise of spring and yummy things to come.

Whitecat8

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

I love the smell...swear I could smell it when I saw your photo. So lucky,

Jane

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Nice. I'm not surprised, though. It's like July here the last couple of days what with thunderstorms and TORNADOES. Part of my confused mind is telling me I should be running out to pick tomatoes before the hail damages them. Funny what conditioning sticks with us through life.

I hope you get a big tasty crop! Do they develop much flavor when grown this time of year? I'm pretty excited about the coming summer. The in-laws have said I can plant things in the garden space they're renting from his grandma. Yes, that kind of grandma and that kind of garden. You know the kind, half of the back hard has been tilled, tended and ammended skillfully for years. I'm really looking forward to it!

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This one is inside, and it's a grape tomato. The grapes have about the same amount of flavor this time of year as they do any other time -- I'm assuming that's because they ripen a lot faster than your standard beefsteak. The beefsteaks this time of year tend to be slightly less flavorful, but they're still infinitely better than store-bought. Not that that's very hard.

Hope you get your order soon, WC!

I envy the idea of a well cultivated plot more than Jane envies that tomato smell. I'm growing in clay (red rocks)...again.

• t_bred
    16 years ago

That is a lovely sight!!! I have grown them indoors also, but not worth the space needed for me. But they sure tasted great! Already put in my order for this year in addition to seeds I have saved. I missed tomatoes so much in the winter,I gave orchids a try!!

• gwtamara
    16 years ago

testing

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are the greenies.

{{gwi:133686}}

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

ooooooo! Does my heart good! It's almost springlike here today so this just adds to the feeling that summer is coming.

• albertan
    16 years ago

I'm just beginning my harvest. Nematodes are a real pain here,so the last three years I have planted my tomatoes directly into 20 pound bags of topsoil laid end to end. Have only picked four delicious ripe ones, but the plants are loaded!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting