Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuezday1

What we have to look forward to, YUCK

tuezday1
18 years ago

I found this link on the computer forum. Our worst fears are about to come true.

Outside of flagging individual posts, for $35 a year, they aren't offering anything we can't already do. So, does this mean we are now cut off from using our free web-based shortcuts? Can they really stop IE and Firefox from automatically updating favorites (IE does it too, doesn't it?), so the newest content is automatically displayed? Rather than having to subscribe to digest type emails. Will Google's spell check no longer work? Can we no longer link via flickr, photobucket etc? Can those people who can remember the script, no longer write their own html code?

The dumbing down of the internet.

Tell me that somewhere, some one, some people, aliens, crack heads, infidel's, terrorists, hari krishna, my dog, your dog, a canbyberra (that's not spelled right), a flippen squirrel even, anyone, more computer savvy than me, is creating a "new internet" for those of us not interested in an internet that looks more and more like TV every day.

The thought of all the internet/computer newbies let loose on this website with the bells and whistles to format text, add inane signature lines, link whirligigs,100's of pics of the grandkids. OMG, how bloody scary can things get?

Here is a link that might be useful: progress??????

Comments (22)

• cbarry
    18 years ago

I hate to get back to *that* conversation again, but this could really signal the end for some of us remaining here.

• varmint
    18 years ago

I know I've said it before, but can the last person who leaves let me know where you all go....
    -Mimi :0)

• ladybug_ok
    18 years ago

Me, too, Mimi! Good grief! I suppose this was inevitable....

Thanks for the heads up, Laura.
    Maggie

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

But you get all that for ONLY $.08 A DAY!! What a deal.

K

• arthurm
    18 years ago

Come on guys. More doom and gloom. This is like the weekly visit to see my Mother in Law on Fridays. She doesn't have a computer, but watches current affairs TV and listens to talkback radio.
    Why are you all so negative?
    I hate smileys. Smileys are dumb. I do not want an American Spell Check. Nor do i want a green card. But that is no reason to leave.
    Come to think of it...leaving is probably a natural progression. especially if there wasn't a dark side. After all, there are only so many times that you can answer. My Phal is sick questions. Ground hog day.

• cat80
    18 years ago

well, Laura, look at it this way - with this subscription, your Mom won't be bothering you when/if she wants to get on IV!!! lol... I'm hoping it wouldn't be as bad as we anticipate... I have lurked at a bunch of orchid forums, and really do not like any of the ones I came across... oh no! we are stuck!!!
    cat80

• Ginge
    18 years ago

Thanks for the heads up , when my $15 worth runs out they won't get more. Gin

• cbarry
    18 years ago

I was willing (and did) pay before, so I'll consider one of their plans, but I really need to see what the new format is, and what I can or cannot do.

Laura- They can easily prevent you from posting HTML code. That's very easy: they can either warn you or simply strip it out. However, I doubt that they will bother to strip out http addresses not written as links, so that you can at least refer people to your pics.

Arthur- Yeah, the smileys, signatures and avatars is what I hate about the slipper forum. Otherwise it's a great place, with hi activity.

And only $.08 a day? I knew that all of the $$ I get back for recycling all those seltzer bottles would be a good thing! (Of course besides the whole save the environment thing!)

Carolyn

• ladybug_ok
    18 years ago

I'm curious if this new feature (format) will eventually phase out the format we now use. That would be a shame if it did since it's the easy to use format that drew folks here. Of course, the nice folks here are why people stay...but those nice folks are here less and less. Sigh.

I really don't feel good about it.

Maggie

• lunaticvulpine
    18 years ago

its like they find a good thing and they manage to destroy it.. no one knows how to just "leave things alone" oh well ive been floating back and forth between here and another site. its only a matter of time before we all turn into refugees at one site or another. maybe theyll get smart and leave us alone.. nah

• ladybug_ok
    18 years ago

Have you checked out the newest "feature"? See the discussions side, top of the threads....a link to something called Garden Voices.

I don't see how it could relate to our orchid interests.
    So what the heck is it? What's the benefit? Am I missing something? Argh.

Maggie

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Just looks like a blog composed of other blogs.

I'll stick with an aggregator and targeted searches for that sort of thin thankyouverymuch.

• ladybug_ok
    18 years ago

Great, just what we needed...not!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Boy, I don't know how we lived without that. I think I'll set my alarm early so I can spend more time checking out all the cool stuff there.

**good grief**

• tuezday1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I want to know when they are going to add the pot growing forum.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

ha ha, tuez! There already is one! It's just that it's sort of underground. Everything is in code so only people in the know understand what's being discussed....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Well, where is this place? Not that I have any interest in that sort of thing. I just luv all plants and want to know more about how this wonderful universe works.

Moonbeam

• tuezday1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, do they trade good seed?

Kevin, hydroponics I tell you, hydroponics. Put all this good S/H info to work for you.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Hydroponics? You'd think so, but you'd be waaaaay off! Can't guess? I'll tell you! It's.....Landscape Design! Yup, that's right. To illustrate I'll translate a sample post:

"Does anyone have suggestions of what I can plant above a dry-laid retaining wall? We had a twenty-five foot long by 4 feet high one installed next to the driveway last fall and it looks really stark."

This means:

"WTF?! I got me all set with some of that righteous bud Shib was flakkin out at weedfest but every time I fix to roll a fattie some wack stem busts the fold! What y'all do 'sides just sit and pick through your pile?"

• Ginge
    18 years ago

There is a forum for that ( no code) , good info on it that can be applied to any type plants . I go there and read . E me if you want the link . Gin

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Gin, maybe you can tell me if I was even close in that word salad of jargon I pulled out up there. On second thought, don't. I'd hate to know either way. :)

• tuezday1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, it does stay green, even in a drought, and makes a good natural fence. I wonder what the home owners association would say about hemp fencing.