Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Sports

xmpraedicta
16 years ago

So what kind of sports do you/have you enjoyed? It won't do just lazing about with the chids all day - do you walk? run? golf?? snooker? :)

When I manage to find time away from my fantastic plants, I go for a swim, a game of squash, occasionally (which is not very often) when I feel ambitious, I go to the gym. Otherwise I grab my snowboard and hit the slopes (Somehow lots of people automatically assume that if you're a snowboarder and male, you're bada** but I'm actually quite timid...I just like going fast :))

Comments (14)

• qylliam
    16 years ago

snooker? snooker for fitness?

I garden outside (I dug up most of my grass ...who NEEDS grass anyway?) That was lots of work.

I try to run, I bike. I swim.

I don't go down hills.

• Ginge
    16 years ago

I outside garden ,flowers and Vegs. Also trail ride my horse. Gin

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

I walk back and forth to the fridge and do 12 oz. curls.

• Ginge
    16 years ago

lololol laughing good one Mr. B ...

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lol - mr b that's my most favorite sport of all

• highjack
    16 years ago

What's snooker?

I garden outside during the three good seasons and sit inside during the winter and plan my changes to the garden during this season.

The only physical activity is walking back and forth to the g/h in rain or mud or ice or snow plus the mental activity of b!tching about winter and the lack of sun. I burn a lot of calories with the last part :>)

Brooke

• westoh Z6
    16 years ago

This winter I've gotten my exercise shoveling snow and ice ;-) I'm getting pretty bored with that routine, actually did it this morning for about 30 minutes. The one good thing about shoveling for me: I don't do the normal physical exercies (see below) when I know I will have to shovel the sidewalks and driveway.

Generally, I exercise every morning (lots of stretching for a bad back, a few sit-ups and push-ups, etc...), and take Izzy (our fairly new puppy) for 20-30 minute walks once or twice a day.

Once things warm up, it's outdoor gardening and yard care that replaces the shoveling. The exercising and the puppy walks are year round activities...

On a side note: We've had the puppy about 6 months now and I've lost 15 pounds from the walks and the constant up and down and in and out that accompanies training a new puppy. Getting my butt up and out of the recliner in the evenings is a nice side benefit along with having an 'orchid watering buddy'.

Bob

• qylliam
    16 years ago

Of course, if the snow doesn't go soon i'm going to lose weight from running in circles on my side in the living room.

woop woop!

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I dug a very big hole in a solid clay area, yesterday. That's my exercise for the week.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Since I was a fat kid I never got into the sports thing. You know - self esteem issues and all that. Oh the wounds of childhood. (sniff, sniff)

For some reason, the weight came off later. Still not into sports, but I love weight lifting now. Do that 5 days a week and walk a lot. Also love snow shoveling and all the garden stuff in the summer.

K

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey I used to be kind of fat too (my brother use to call me fatso)..and I had bad hand-eye coordination too so everyone hated me when we played team sports (another reason why I despise all team sports)....but then suddenly 5 years ago when I turned 18 I acquired miraculously good hand-eye coordination and I got skinny too...

Kev- there there - im sure you're buff now with all the gym-going. You *love* snow shoveling? Where were you last weekend when we were struggling with our 4ft? :P

Gardening as exercise = best thing ever: beautify and get fit at the same time

• michigoose
    16 years ago

I used to run 880s in track...but I can honestly say I NEVER liked it. I used to run, bike and swim (masters swim at the YMCA). Now, I walk and will get back on the bike if the warm weather ever gets here...and I have taken up a new membership at the Y to go back to swimming and I am looking into Yoga again.

I'm a bit scared of going back to biking and swimming as my hip took major hits when I had radiation therapy for cancer there....it just doesn't bend as much as it used to and I am severely bummed that a 6 month course of chemo and another 9 month course of chemo and being slammed into surgical menopause to control cancer at age 38 means I have now been diagnosed with osteoporosis....and I'm only 48. I'm ticked and not happy. That's with being on fosomax for 10 years and taking calcium AND I drink at least 18-24 oz. of milk a day....

I'm not looking forward to digging in my clay soil when I can finally get into the garden again. Now the snow is gone, but it is too wet to work.

• michigoose
    16 years ago

oh yeah...and in the days where I lived in areas with a decent snow cover which was reliable, I cross country skiied...

• westoh Z6
    16 years ago

Lis,

Isn't western Ohio wonderful!!!, it almost makes me miss the gopher state.

Bob - from just a little further south on I75

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living